SSS at the Grammy concert

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

SSS at the Grammy concert

Post by Bob-I »

John Mayer just played with BB King. He had 2 stacks on stage, a 2Rock and an SSS. BB used a Twin :shock: not a Lab like he's usually seen with. Great jam by BB of course, Mayer is just ok but great tone.
rfrakes331k

Re: SSS at the Grammy concert

Post by rfrakes331k »

I saw the SSS and the Two Rock. With his Mayer Sig he didn't sound as awesome as with his Black CS Relic.

I couldn't tell if that was a Twin that BB was playing through. It looked like a Blackface Super Reverb.
pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound »

Mayer sounded much bigger and fuller than BB. But a 4x12 tends to do that....Mayer had a good sound
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

rfrakes331k wrote:I saw the SSS and the Two Rock. With his Mayer Sig he didn't sound as awesome as with his Black CS Relic.

I couldn't tell if that was a Twin that BB was playing through. It looked like a Blackface Super Reverb.
No, it was a Silver Faced Twin. I've seen BB use it before, it's his backup to the Lab series. I saw him in a little community theatre so it was cranked, but you're right that Mayers sound was tighter and fuller.

Still, it's great to see BB still playing. Like he said years ago, he'll retire the day after they bury him. :D
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

The Audio seems better on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JBELxFzAY
NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq »

pureoldsound wrote:Mayer sounded much bigger and fuller than BB. But a 4x12 tends to do that....Mayer had a good sound
Funny, I thought the exact opposite.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Not to hijack the thread, but BB is like George Burns. Those stogies should have killed Burns in his 70's, but nope. BB's been fat for decades and as big as Shamu for about a decade. Obviously, he's relatively healthy as far as his cardiovascular system goes. At 83, he's way past the biblical three score and ten. Amazing.
rfrakes331k

Post by rfrakes331k »

Mayer's tone on Gravity from the 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival is his best tone by far.

How much of that tone is the SSS or Two Rock or maybe a blend of both?

Could I get that tone at home with a Brown Note DLite 22 Watt?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

jaysg wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but BB is like George Burns. Those stogies should have killed Burns in his 70's, but nope. BB's been fat for decades and as big as Shamu for about a decade. Obviously, he's relatively healthy as far as his cardiovascular system goes. At 83, he's way past the biblical three score and ten. Amazing.
...and diagnosed a type-2 diabetic 28 years ago!
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

rfrakes331k wrote:Could I get that tone at home with a Brown Note DLite 22 Watt?
The ODS and SSS are completley different animals. You might get something similar with the clean channel, but not exactly the same.
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

I believe the sound man has a great deal to do with the discrepancy in tone of this clip. Mayer is way hotter in the mix. It's hard to tell what they would have sounded like if we were there on stage. My two cents.
-Kevin
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Tavda3172 wrote:I believe the sound man has a great deal to do with the discrepancy in tone of this clip. Mayer is way hotter in the mix. It's hard to tell what they would have sounded like if we were there on stage. My two cents.
-Kevin
I disagree. I think that the tone discrepency caused the mix to seem this way. Mayers tone cut better than BB's but the level is about the same.

This seems to be a BB thing. He likes a more mellow tone in his old age. I saw him once when his Lab series let him down in the middle of Thrill is gone. They swapped it with a Twin with JBLs while he sang another chorus, the next solo cut much better.
RevD

Post by RevD »

To my ear BB's tone (since he went to 3xx Gibson style guitars) has always had a mid rangey honk to it (for lack of a better word). Course his are custom shop, but I have a 90' lucille and its not inherently mid rangy really. Perhaps its his touch, maybe his tone control setups, but your right he doesn't have a lot of cut to his tone. Then again, usually its him and a orchestra so he's not competing with another guitarists for lead lines. (I loved his quote in rattle and hum ' I'm terrible at chords'). If you've ever heard REALLY REALLY early BB before he went to his fast vibrato style, he wanted to emulate T-bone real bad and he really was pretty convincing with it. Just some thoughts.

Regards,

RevD
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

My favorite BB tone is live at the regal - I wish he would have never stopped using that tweed twin! (anybody know what model?)
I think his tone with that lab amp is usually pretty killin too!