Built-in D'lator: To shield or not to shield

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lbradshaw

Built-in D'lator: To shield or not to shield

Post by lbradshaw »

I just installed an built-in D'lator in my 2x6L6 test build. The layout file 97_ODS_HRM_loop.jpg was helpful. I think that might have been Normster's layout. I ended up just using one Resistor and Cap to make an extra node for the d'lator power. I know there are some that say you need as much as 4 extra filter caps. But, I got the voltage where I needed it, and everything seems to work fine. YMMV. Anyhow, I also read some about shielding the built-in D'lator. I am trying to minimize the amount of shielded wire I use. So, I am wondering, of those who have made amps with build-in D'lator did you use shield in that section? If so where, etc...
greiswig

Re: Built-in D'lator: To shield or not to shield

Post by greiswig »

Some seem to think that part of the mojo is the capacitance of the shielded wire rolling off a bit of high end. Some of the stage photos I've seen show guitar cords (not patch cables, 15'-20' of guitar cord) connecting the amp to the D'lator. You'd be hard pressed to put that much cable into your amp. ;)

Arguably, you could simulate this with some capacitors strategically placed...and you could even put them on a switch so you'd know which you prefer.
-g
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I've done quite a few of them now and my experience is they are very susceptable to being noisy when built in, I would shield any run longer than 2", even then it will be noisier than an external unit. At a minimum use a 40uf filter at the dropping resistor fed from B+2. Here's how I do it if I can only use a single node for power (voltages in Red):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
lbradshaw

Post by lbradshaw »

greiswig wrote:Some seem to think that part of the mojo is the capacitance of the shielded wire rolling off a bit of high end. Some of the stage photos I've seen show guitar cords (not patch cables, 15'-20' of guitar cord) connecting the amp to the D'lator. You'd be hard pressed to put that much cable into your amp. ;)

Arguably, you could simulate this with some capacitors strategically placed...and you could even put them on a switch so you'd know which you prefer.
Yeah, hear the capacitance adds "Mojo". As it is, without long cables, the D'lator seesm to round off the highs a bit. I don't know that I would want it even duller by adding something 180pf to ground. But, it is a test build thus far, so It is always worth a try.
heisthl wrote:I've done quite a few of them now and my experience is they are very susceptable to being noisy when built in, I would shield any run longer than 2", even then it will be noisier than an external unit. At a minimum use a 40uf filter at the dropping resistor fed from B+2. Here's how I do it if I can only use a single node for power (voltages in Red):

Thanks for the info and schematic. I see that stand alone D'lators are shielded to and from the board to the input/output jacks. 4 total I think. So, currently I have shielding from the input/output jacks(2) to the d'lator circuit built into the amp. I just wanted more input as to if anyone thought I needed more then that.

Why do you think the D'lator power node needs at least 40uf. My PI/OD/CL tubes all are feed by 22uf caps. So, I figure that would be good for the d'lator tube as well. If there is a good reason to up the value, I will have no problem doing so.

Thanks again.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

lbradshaw wrote:

Why do you think the D'lator power node needs at least 40uf. My PI/OD/CL tubes all are feed by 22uf caps. So, I figure that would be good for the d'lator tube as well. If there is a good reason to up the value, I will have no problem doing so.

Thanks again.
The PI rejects hum, your OD is geting 44uf and your CL is getting 66uf, are the lights turning on yet? :lol:
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
lbradshaw

Post by lbradshaw »

heisthl wrote: The PI rejects hum, your OD is geting 44uf and your CL is getting 66uf, are the lights turning on yet? :lol:
Ah... Lights are on low, but they are working now... ;) I was not thinking about it that way.

Thanks..