The Dumble at lark street????

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sidehatch

The Dumble at lark street????

Post by sidehatch »

Have you guys seen the discussion at TGP where Tag is obsessed with buying the tan dumble at lark street. He offered them 40k and they want 50k.

He says there is something in that dumble that isnt in other dumbles or the many clones he has.

So, Does anyone know the history of it and does it sound any better than the others?

He says it sounds nothing like the redplate, bludotone,GW,TW or any other.

What do the experts think?
selloutrr

Re: The Dumble at lark street????

Post by selloutrr »

that is the $50K question
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
Curly

Post by Curly »

I know it was just a camera mic, but did it sound like 50K to you?
"music heals"
Structo

Post by Structo »

Tag is......well Tag.

He is so obsessed with that Politician tone that has spent a fortune trying to get the tone on a recording.

I do wonder what he does for a living that allows him to buy a new amp every month.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Tag is a landscape designer...
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

With no disrespect meant to Tag, I wonder how he expects to get the exact tone of a particular recording. When you factor in the guitar,amp,strings, tubes, mic, mic cable, mic pre's, signal path,board,recording medium, the room and a thousand other varibles , I wonder how he expects to get an exact tone? After that, I think okay: if he want it as an investment then thats ok but to buy it to gig or to try to get an exact tone then that sounds silly.

Last thing is , Why would you want someone else's tone exactly?

Im on this forum because I love that type of sound but last thing I want to do as an artist is sound exactly like someone else.

He says he hears things in the tone quality that others dont hear. I dont buy it. I think Henry's amps pounce on any other D style amp I've played/owned or even heard
including the 2 dumbles I've played on and a former local guy has one that he bought in the early 90's straight from HAD for 5k

Admittantly, I could care less about the subtleties of the politician tone.
I want the tone that I hear in my head.

The reason I started the thread was to see if anyone knew the history on the amp and if its any different than one of the many thats been dissected.

quote="Structo"]Tag is......well Tag.

He is so obsessed with that Politician tone that has spent a fortune trying to get the tone on a recording.

I do wonder what he does for a living that allows him to buy a new amp every month.[/quote]
nickt

Post by nickt »

sidehatch wrote:Admittantly, I could care less about the subtleties of the politician tone.
I want the tone that I hear in my head.
Funny one that. I've always wanted to find a tone then use it. Sort of a feedback process - hear, use, explore, hear, use...

Guess you have to shoot for something first.

Interesting point sidehatch.

Agree - why would anyone spend $50k just to have the tone of a single track? Seems crazy. :roll:
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

sidehatch wrote:Have you guys seen the discussion at TGP where Tag is obsessed with buying the tan dumble at lark street. He offered them 40k and they want 50k.

He says there is something in that dumble that isnt in other dumbles or the many clones he has.

So, Does anyone know the history of it and does it sound any better than the others?

He says it sounds nothing like the redplate, bludotone,GW,TW or any other.

What do the experts think?
So what? why do people buy expensive sports cars they can hardly use in everyday life? Sounds like this guy Tag is driven towards the dumble magic like the rest of us. Is he really more polluted with the D'desease than the rest of us 8)
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I wonder if he's hoping that TR will clone it so the $$$ of his amp goes up or something? I doubt it will ever be as famous as 124 or other Dumbles. With $50k he could have had the Trainwreck Billy G owned, or a Rocket, and a Dumble clone or 2. Let me find $50K :P
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

dr. who wrote:With $50k he could have had the Trainwreck Billy G owned, or a Rocket, and a Dumble clone or 2. Let me find $50K :P
Yeah, but that's not a Dumble :wink:
Pete

Post by Pete »

dr. who wrote: I doubt it will ever be as famous as 124 or other Dumbles.
I understand that, on TGP, that one (subject amp of OP) is much more "famous" and has probably been played by many more than 124.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Who's amp was it, and who played it ?
Pete

Post by Pete »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:Who's amp was it, and who played it ?
Sorry for the confusion, I just realized the amp in question is not the famous (w/TGP) "tan" amp from some east coast area studio often touted/talked about on TGP. I know nothing about a black (head) that is the subject of the recent purchase.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

No problem. Actually, I found the "famous tan Dumble" rather unimpressive.
Maybe I expected more (after all the years of hype), but while it was a good amp, it wasn't the holy grail I was expecting...
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I'm with Andy on that Tan Dumble, and most Dumbles I've heard in person. They may have been really special when HAD developed them, but so many great amps have followed they just don't stand out in my mind.

Personally I'd take a Triple Drive over any Dumble I've heard in person to date.