Sweeping pentode mode to triode mode

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stiltamp

Sweeping pentode mode to triode mode

Post by stiltamp »

Hi,

I already asked this question in the SLO-Clone Forum:

Have anybody experiences with feeding in various voltage to the screen grid to sweep from the triode mode to the pentode mode?

It seems to be that no-one have experience in this there.

Have anybody tried on?
tubeswell

Re: Sweeping pentode mode to triode mode

Post by tubeswell »

Haven't tried it but Merlin Blencowe describes this in Ch 3 of his recent book. There's a a few different ways you can do it according to him, but I don't know how much I can divulge without infringing something or other. Basically you can either make the screen bypass circuit variable like you would do with a variable cathode bypass cap, or you can use a pot and extra cap in the screen bypass circuit to achieve a combined mode switch/variable screen bypass.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You mean like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Root

Post by David Root »

That looks like just a pentode/triode switch to me.

It's not clear to me if stiltamp is talking about a pentode preamp, which Merlin's book does address nicely, or a pentode power tube. If a power tube it seems to be almost like UL mode with a continuously variable primary screen tap, except not doing it that way.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Passive feedback from anode to screen grid as per Merlins circuit works only on small signal pentodes like EF86. Since it is a passive feedback screen grid is fed from high impedance. This has some limitations on sweep range.
Better results are obtained with active buffer in feedback from anode to screen grid. This has a disadvantage of buffer needing a supply voltage about 60% higher than anode DC supply.

A guitar amp utilizing sweepable triode-ultralinear-pentode in the preamps first gain stage is swedish made reVintage Pro

[img:320:240]http://www.revintage.se/Profront.JPG-for-web-NORMAL.jpg[/img]

LouderAndMore amp designed by myself in collaboration with Björn Juhl has a sweepable triode-ultralinear-pentode single end power stage. I am currently experimenting with a sweepable PP configuration.
A rudimentary circuit illustrating general principle was shown in one of David Haflers patents from early 1950s.

review here:
L&M PG review
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VacuumVoodoo on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

duble post deleted
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review