Need to buy solder - suggestions?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Omar

Need to buy solder - suggestions?

Post by Omar »

I'm coming up on the end of my spool and would like suggestions about what solder I should buy. The solder I currently use leaves flux residue all over the place so I was looking for something that's a little cleaner.

Here is what Mouser offers:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/627/1765.pdf

Anybody have any comments about the the following solder:
  • 44 Rosin, Activated Rosin Core Solder (I think this is what I'm currently using)
    285 Rosin, Mildly Activated Rosin Core Solder
    331 Water Soluble Core Solder
    254 No-Clean Core Solder
Thanks,
Omar
Tone by misadventure
2thick4uni

Re: Need to buy solder - suggestions?

Post by 2thick4uni »

Hi Omar,

Water soluble solder flows really well as is great to use BUT there is a problem, you must wash all soldered joints in warm running water afterwards to remove the flux residue, if left it is corrosive and will case problems with solder joints. Some components cannot be water washed, eg pots and presets. It is ideal for solering turret boards etc as long as you can wash them afterwards, but it is not a general purpose solder as you really wouldn't want to try to wash a complete amp chassis!

No clean solder is low residue and leaves a cleaner joint than rosin solder, however it usually doesn't flow as well, some types flow about as well as toothpase!

I use water soluble where I can and X39 60/40 lead tin no clean everywhere else. Unfortunately I haven't tried 254 so have no idea how well (or badly) it flows.

Allan