Anyone here built a Matchless dc30????

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dartanion

Re: Anyone here built a Matchless dc30????

Post by dartanion »

Layout isn't super critical on these and either 20 or 22 gauge 600V wire should be fine. Just make sure you use a layout that makes sense. You can always use the Ceriatone layout as a reference.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
playonit

Post by playonit »

On the pic attached there is a grey wire with 2 sometimes 3 wires exiting the ends. Is this a sleave with individual wires fished through it or ????? and appears to have been shrinked on the ends?? It also appears to say Lucent on the grey casing?? Also, I forgot to order my switches with the chassis where can I find the on-on 6 tab?? so far I have found only 4 tab.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

playonit wrote:On the pic attached there is a grey wire with 2 sometimes 3 wires exiting the ends. Is this a sleave with individual wires fished through it or ????? and appears to have been shrinked on the ends??
That is two-conductor shielded cable. The shield is pulled back on the end that is covered in shrink and grounded at the other end. You may also see other builds that use single conductor shielded cable for keeping noise out of low signal leads (examples include leads from input to first stage and leads to/from volume control).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

playonit wrote:On the pic attached there is a grey wire with 2 sometimes 3 wires exiting the ends. Is this a sleave with individual wires fished through it or ????? and appears to have been shrinked on the ends??
That is two-conductor shielded cable. The shield is pulled back on the end that is covered in shrink and grounded at the other end. You may also see other builds that use single conductor shielded cable for keeping noise out of low signal leads (examples include leads from input to first stage and leads to/from volume control).
kg6epv

Thanks

Post by kg6epv »

i will be happy to help you with a set. I also offer a discount if you contact me directly, so I save on Ebay fees. My email is kg6epv@yahoo.com .
All the best! Bob, Transformer Design and Supply
kg6epv

Also...

Post by kg6epv »

In case anyone was wondering, we still build for Matchless, and have from the beginning. My Dad designed the original transformers back when Matchless first started. Everyone loves our transformers, all over the world. We also build for some other Class A amp mnfrs here in So Cal. I LOVE my job, I make people happy. You can read more about me when my website comes back up, www.transformerdesignandsupply.com

All the best! Bob, TDS
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Bob you really resurrected an old thread. :)

So TDS is back or still making transformers and offering parts?

How soon will the website be up?

Mark
kg6epv

Hi

Post by kg6epv »

Hi Mark, we have have been in business for 35+ years, 2nd generation. We only stop for 2 weeks at the end of July every year for vacation (coming up! ) Other than that we are building transformers day in, day out, we build for Matchless and a few other Class A amp manufacturers. You would definitely rcognize their names! :-)
Our website is down for maintenance, I don't know why... maybe server is down? Pain in the butt for me, first time in 6 years.
I can offer transformers and transformer sets to anyone who needs them, and everyone loves them, all over the world.
I also offer a discount to anyone who contacts me direct, saves me eBay fees. Just mention Amp Garage.
I am an amp builder myself. I love my job, I make people happy. My brother owns the company, so nobody can touch the quality I offer, especially for the price.
You can find out more about me and Transformer Design and Supply by checking out my website, once it comes back up, or do a search on eBay for Matchless Transformers, my ad has more info.
If I can help anyone, you can contact me at kg6epv@yahoo.com and at www.transformerdesignandsupply.com .

Thanks for asking, Mark! All the best, Bob Wood, TDS
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Bob,

Thanks for the response. I had heard of TDS but never used your services so was somewhat confused at the rebuilding message on the website. :) You cleared all confusion right up. :oops:

I'll check the website out when it becomes available again and look for any ebay sales.

Mark
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

I'll pop in and say I've used both the 15w set and the 30 watt set of the TDS stuff.

Built a Lightning and a 30 watt hybrid Rocket/C30.

Tranformers are great! Plus, my all time favorite amp (/13 FTR 37) uses them as well.

-Rich
Structo

Post by Structo »

I was wanting to check out TDS transformers but the site says it's down for maintenance. I've tried several times today.

There are only a few transformer manufacturers and I would like to support the smaller family business whenever possible.
Plus a company that has been doing it for over 30 years probably knows what they are doing and do it right. :wink:

I'll keep trying the website but in today's internet world and online shopping, having a good functional website is a must. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

I have used the TDS transformers and I can't say enough good things about them or the owner who answers the phone !
The difference is like good beer vs. the best craft beers.
It really can help you improve your amp from an appliance grade device into a real musical instrument.

If that's not too much hyperbole....
Last edited by chopstuck on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
kg6epv

Thank you, and more info on my website

Post by kg6epv »

Hi all. Just wanted to Thank You All for the kind words! Rich, you know one of our secrets... we do indeed make them for Divided by 13. Fred is a really great guy. I usually don't talk about it, but since you mentioned it I will confirm. We also build for a few other builders, you would recognize the names, and of course, Matchless. we also ship them all over the world to DIY amp builders, I like to think in some small way I am helping to spread good music. I am also an amp builder myself, and a really crappy guitar player, lol.
Our website has crashed! The server is Vista.net, they are kaput as far as I can tell! I am furiously trying to put up a new website, I will make it much better, I have been meaning to update it anyhow. Just finished talking to the domain people up in Canada, nice folks. It will be up in a few days, and within a few weeks it will be better than ever. If anyone needs any help with transformers, you can reach me at kg6epv@yahoo.com .
Thanks again for the kind words, we really do try to keep our customers happy- it is job #1 to us! All the best! Bob, TDS
rp

Post by rp »

I recently posted about a Lightning build. I really hit the bulls-eye with this one and I think it's because I used the exact same xformer set as the original, something that is rarely an option. I strongly suggest you go with West/TDS. The PT runs so nice and cool. Nice guy at West and TDS sounds pleasant too.

BTW Anyone know what Matchless used for the pf caps in the DC30, and the other amps too? I scoured google images for gut shots and I couldn't see any micas or discs - but it was hard to see in the pics I found. I went with pstyrene, but it would be nice to know for sure.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If anyone wants to build a 15-18w amp I highly recommend the Spitfire it is a great amp and I always use mine for small gigs into a 1-12 epiphone cab.

I just my have to build another Spitfire combo with TDS iron. :)