Vibrolux reverb

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

turbo5speed

Vibrolux reverb

Post by turbo5speed »

Hi. I got this "fetiche" for Vibroluxs and been thinking about building a clone. My Strat seems to be completly in love with them :?

2 questions

1) Do you think its possible to accurately replicate the sound?

2) What circuit do you guys think is the holy grail of Vibroluxs 5E11, 5F11, etc.

Any advises would also be welcome.

Thx.
turbo5speed

Re: Vibrolux reverb

Post by turbo5speed »

Anyone?
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Can't answer, but I'm watching.

Patience.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

May I suggest, that you check the Jim Weider DVD:

'How to get that classic fender tone' to get inspiration for which fender designs is your favourite flavour.

I've seen that video many times both for Fender amp tones and for Jim Weider's licks and especially dig the tweed (5E3) deluxe and the Brown Face deluxe.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

Tone is ALWAYS a very subjective thing... one mans ‘creamy’ is another mans ‘muddy’. Our perception of tone molded, in part, by our subconscious, our listening habits, past experiences, technical abilities(ahem)... or lack of the afore mentioned technical abilities, ear fatigue, musical style, type of instrument used, budget (read as, “lack of budget”, more often than not) and the amplifier archetype (whichever it may be) that we revere as the "Holy Grail".

With that said...

I'll take a 6G11 (Brown circuit) with an outboard reverb over the later Blackface models (AA763, AA964), any day of the week... However, I know full well that the 6G11 is one of the LEAST popular Vibrolux's in the Fender back-catalogue... and, that most consider either the Tweed models (5E11, 5F11) or the later Blackface incarnations to be the Bees Knees.

Cheers,
Rob
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Turbo5speed -- If you have access to the right components, you can replicate the sound of almost anything if you are willing to spend the time tweaking. OT, speakers and tubes are critical. Mercury probably has clones of any Vibrolux OT you're interested in; speakers are a little dicier since you'll need to buy an original P10R (or whatever) to really nail it, but it might sound better with a different speaker; Tweed Vibroluxes are especially sensitive to output tubes -- you'll want really nice 6V6s, like VT107As.

As to what to build, that depends mostly on what kind of output tubes you prefer: 5E11 and 5F11 are nearly identical and use 6V6s. These sound somewhat underpowered IMO. You can help that a little by adding a 1M grid resistor to the input which the originals don't have. Bias should be made adjustable, too.

The 6G11s have 6L6s with the Brown era tapped-treble tone stack and the Tweed/Brown 12AX7 PI. Blackface Vibroluxes are just Deluxes with 6L6s. If you build something from that era, go with the Princeton Reverb circuit.
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

Firestorm wrote:Turbo5speed -- If you have access to the right components, you can replicate the sound of almost anything if you are willing to spend the time tweaking. OT, speakers and tubes are critical. Mercury probably has clones of any Vibrolux OT you're interested in; speakers are a little dicier since you'll need to buy an original P10R (or whatever) to really nail it, but it might sound better with a different speaker; Tweed Vibroluxes are especially sensitive to output tubes -- you'll want really nice 6V6s, like VT107As.

As to what to build, that depends mostly on what kind of output tubes you prefer: 5E11 and 5F11 are nearly identical and use 6V6s. These sound somewhat underpowered IMO. You can help that a little by adding a 1M grid resistor to the input which the originals don't have. Bias should be made adjustable, too.

The 6G11s have 6L6s with the Brown era tapped-treble tone stack and the Tweed/Brown 12AX7 PI. Blackface Vibroluxes are just Deluxes with 6L6s. If you build something from that era, go with the Princeton Reverb circuit.
I've tried a blackface reverb and like it very much. I understand they have 6L6's so i must like the sound of them. Both amps i've built they are all EL34's (actually E34L's).

I have the right access when it comes to tubes, components, etc. My problem is always the iron. I always ask the local guru guy i know to wind them for me with very satisfying results and less euros. I can order one online but they are very expensive. Ordering outside of the EU is always a problem with customs for me.

I was looking at the aa964 schematic and it has the Princeton reverb circuit right? I believe i am going for that one when the time comes.

Thx guys.

Anymore input on this subject?
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

turbo5speed wrote:I was looking at the aa964 schematic and it has the Princeton reverb circuit right? I believe i am going for that one when the time comes.
The Princetons have no screen limiting resistors, add at least 470.

rd
David Root

Post by David Root »

Some years ago I built a 6G11A with a BF reverb circuit. I added a few other non standard items like PAB on the FSW and more interstage gain control. With a pair of used RCA 6L6GCs it sounds great. Speaker is a 12" Tone Tubby Alnico, but an old P12N would be more authentic especially with those tubes, that should nail it.
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

rdjones wrote:
turbo5speed wrote:I was looking at the aa964 schematic and it has the Princeton reverb circuit right? I believe i am going for that one when the time comes.
The Princetons have no screen limiting resistors, add at least 470.

rd
Thx for the tip. :wink:
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

David Root wrote:Some years ago I built a 6G11A with a BF reverb circuit. I added a few other non standard items like PAB on the FSW and more interstage gain control. With a pair of used RCA 6L6GCs it sounds great. Speaker is a 12" Tone Tubby Alnico, but an old P12N would be more authentic especially with those tubes, that should nail it.
I've got these. Never used. Should be about 15 or 20 years old i guess. Should do the trick?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mandopicker

Post by mandopicker »

Nice Pair! :roll:
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

He he. Thx 8)