First Amp Build: Which One and where to source

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rdamato

First Amp Build: Which One and where to source

Post by rdamato »

I've decided that over the upcoming months, I would like to build an amp. What is recommended for a first time builder in terms of circuit and parts sourcing??

Thanks,
Ron Damato
Structo

Re: First Amp Build: Which One and where to source

Post by Structo »

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind my asking, what is your background and experience in electronics?

What I am getting at unless you have a pretty good understanding of basic electronic theory, it will be quite a task.
Sure some guys get away with building an amp using paint by the numbers layouts.
Or you could buy a kit that has instructions.
But you won't learn a heck of a lot about the circuit.

If you do have electronic knowledge and are just lacking in tube theory then there is a list of resources in the Garage Talk section.

If you still want to pursue a scratch build, then you have to tell us what kind of music do you like to play (some of your favorite artists)
How much power do you think you need?

Basically just about all two power tube amps will cost about the same to build unless it is a Dumble or other more complex amp.
So a Fender Deluxe which is a popular first project will cost about the same as a Marshall 18 watt amp.

You just have to decide what flavor you want. :wink:

EDIT:
I looked back at your posts, I see you are a Marshall guy.

The Mark Huss 6V6 Plexi is a good amp.
I built one similar to it and it had nice tone and would be loud enough to gig unless the drummer is a real hard hitter.
You can always design a more powerful power amp too, but that will entail a bigger power supply as well.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Hello Ron, welcome to TAG.

This is a frequent question asked by new members and a good question too!.

I suggest for a first time build you need to ask your self what type of music and tones do you enjoy. A lot of us play variety music so are you looking to an amp that you want to use for gigging or an amp to build as a learning process?

I definitely suggest a kit such as the single ended (SE) three tube amps like the Fender Champ, or any of the Fender Tweed variety SE. My first build was a Trainwreck Liverpool but I had a lot of years of being inside Fender blackface and brownface amps.

For sources look at
www.mojotone.com
www.rjguitars.net
www.triodestores.com
Weber speakers
many others to choose from and the members here can offer those sources to you, just ask.

Mark
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

What Structo and Mark said.

plus, embarking on tube amp building is time-consuming and expensive. Be prepared to spend more than you thought you needed to when you have to start changing things or fixing mistakes. Its also highly addictive and potentially fatal. If you have family responsibilities, make sure you have life insurance etc.

Once you get past those hurdles, you should probably start with something simple to troubleshoot, like a 5F2A or 5E3 circuit. Or something basic like a P1 from AX84.

You'll also need to tool-up as well as read a bit about how tube amps work etc. http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9023

Pete
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
rdamato

Post by rdamato »

Thanks Guys. My experience is limited to biasing my own amps and doing Steve Ahola mods on a peavey Classic 30. I can solder and know how to discharge caps. I'm not a designer nor do I have a ton of electronics theory knowledge. I want to build a KIT with support. I think I can do that.

Ron
Noval_novice

Post by Noval_novice »

I'll second the recommendation to build a P1 or HO from the ax84 site. The latter will get you some great Marshall tone, is fairly easy to build, and there is a online community that will help you troubleshoot. Additionally, they have a fairly good introductory manual on tubes and electronic theory and you can ask all the questions you like if you really want to dissect the design.

If you prefer a louder amp for gigging, the 18 watt would be a good option. Trinity Amps in Toronto offers a kit with decent instructions as well as a supportive online community.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I'll add my 2c as I have been fooling around with electronics for years before I undertook my first complete build. Since I play pedal steel guitar, I decided on a "Twin" clone. I bought Weber chassis, and sourced everything else a few dollars at a time, including turret boards. After about a year I got it built, and it sounds great.
I confess I had a local kid, (amp tech), that used to date my daughter set the bias, and he also got a few parts for me, (and also offered good advise). Maybe you might want to start with a less complicated design, unless you are intent on needing the higher power output.
I am now working on a "Deluxe" clone build (same circuit), I built my own turret boards this time, and hope to have it completed in a month or two. While gathering parts, I find I'll have most all I need to build a Vibrolux AA964, so that's next.
I guess a 5E3 build will have to wait!
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

The kits on www.ampmaker.com look pretty good and decent instructions as well, anyone built one of these? I'm keen on the 5W kit :)
topbrent

Post by topbrent »

I would recommend not building something very complex for your first build.
You need to start to understand how tube circuits work and how to read schematics before you dive into the more complex builds.

Wiggle, crawl, walk, run.

You might try building something like the AX84 P1 or some other simple/proven amp.
It is very well supported over at ax84.com, and will get you familiar with the inner workings of a tube amp.
- http://www.ax84.com/p1.html

Schematic, layout, drill guide, bill of materials, ect
- http://www.ax84.com/static/p1/AX84_P1_101004.pdf

Kit: http://shop.dobermanamps.com/product-p/kit-p1.htm
dealer: allparts, weber, antique electronic supply
passfan

Post by passfan »

topbrent wrote:I would recommend not building something very complex for your first build.
You need to start to understand how tube circuits work and how to read schematics before you dive into the more complex builds.

Wiggle, crawl, walk, run.

You might try building something like the AX84 P1 or some other simple/proven amp.
It is very well supported over at ax84.com, and will get you familiar with the inner workings of a tube amp.
- http://www.ax84.com/p1.html

Schematic, layout, drill guide, bill of materials, ect
- http://www.ax84.com/static/p1/AX84_P1_101004.pdf

Kit: http://shop.dobermanamps.com/product-p/kit-p1.htm
I would suggest upgrading these transformers to the 125ESE and the 270 EX respectively. It makes it possible to go to a P1 Extreme while giving you a bit more Balls with the basic P1.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
Structo

Post by Structo »

While I agree that you shouldn't attempt anything way above your skill set, you should build something you would be interested in playing through.

For me I didn't want a Champ or similar small amp.

I ended up building a Brown Note D'lite 44 amp which is a 2x 6L6 amp head.

It's basically a lite version of a Dumble Overdrive Special.

But I knew how to read a schematic, I was familiar with components and I have been soldering since I was a kid.

That was a great first build for me and I learned a lot from it.

My knowledge was just a bit light in tube theory because not many places teach it anymore and even in an EE course I took in 1977 they spent about two days on it.

We didn't have the internet then so I had to go to a library anytime I needed to find out something.

So if you are the type of guy that can learn by himself by reading a book then that is what you should do to brush up on any electronics you need to learn before starting a build.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

you should build something you would be interested in playing through
I agree with that. I built an HO kit as my first attempt not knowing if I'd like it. Everything went great except for some hum that was eventually solved by re-doing the grounds (the HO layout didn't work for my amp for some reason - later learned it is really a 50-50 crapshoot according to postings).

I didn't like the amp at first, thought it was okay. After some tweaking (biggest change was I got rid of the Hammond 269ex PT and put in a higher voltage Edcor and put in an octal EL34 "option") now I actually love the amp. Great little gritty dirty mean monster. Cranked it does the crunch thing very well, and I have managed to be able to get some decent cleans out of it as well. So in the end it worked for me but I would be unhappy if I did all the work for no reward b/c ultimately you want to like and play what you build.