Outstanding tube sockets?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bluesfendermanblues

Re: Outstanding tube sockets?

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Lonely Raven wrote:Funny you mention that...part of what made me think to ask about tube sockets was that I'm just finishing up a SF Super Reverb basket case. I've got a chassis, transformers, cabinet, and speakers from different sources, and I'm putting it all together. I had an intermittent popping so I thought I'd retention the sockets with a jewelers screwdriver and the popping went away.
8)
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

pamaz67 wrote:http://www.cmc-audio.com/teflon-tube-sockets-c.html

Nit really confortable to solder them, and you'll need to isolate each pin with a few shrinking tubing.
But the quality is excellent.
They are around 10 usd each.
paolo
Those are exactly the ones I found on eBay (China) that I was considering.
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lonely Raven wrote:That sounds like a design flaw, not a problem with the Teflon.
Then perhaps we can agree that just because a part is machined from teflon that it does not guarantee against arcing?
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

Zippy wrote:
Lonely Raven wrote:That sounds like a design flaw, not a problem with the Teflon.
Then perhaps we can agree that just because a part is machined from teflon that it does not guarantee against arcing?
Absolutely!
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

Zippy wrote:
sure. but let me clarify, i meant that the socket itself won't become conductive.

There are some conditions under which bakelite, micalex, phenolic will actually wear down and start to conduct.

Ceramic is much less susceptible. That's all I meant.

for the teflon sockets they make these rings for them...

[img:300:284]http://www.partsconnexion.com/media/pro ... _74342.jpg[/img]
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

diagrammatiks wrote:
Zippy wrote:
sure. but let me clarify, i meant that the socket itself won't become conductive.
If there exists an arc trace on the socket - even if made of PTFE (aka Teflon), the socket will become conductive. Once that happens, the best solution - regardless of material - is to replace the socket.
NickC

Post by NickC »

wiki wrote:Electric arc over the surface of plastics causes their degradation. A conductive carbon-rich track tends to form in the arc path, negatively influencing their insulation properties. The arc susceptibility is tested according to ASTM D495, by point electrodes and continuous and intermittent arcs; it is measured in seconds to form a track that is conductive under high-voltage low-current conditions. Some materials are less susceptible to degradation than others; e.g. polytetrafluoroethylene has arc resistance of about 200 seconds. From thermosetting plastics, alkyds and melamine resins are better than phenolic resins. Polyethylenes have arc resistance of about 150 seconds, polystyrenes and polyvinyl chlorides have relatively low resistance of about 70 seconds. Plastics can be formulated to emit gases with arc-extinguishing properties; these are known as arc-extinguishing plastics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc
Something as simple as dust (and/or other contaminants) can form a "bridge" enabling an arc. The resulting carbon trace can become fused to the tube-base, rendering the socket defective.
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

zippy, i still think we're talking about two different problems but nickC's quote is a better authority then I am.

I was under the impression that teflon was not susceptible to the same arc welding problems that older socket materials were, however it is only less susceptible.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Tom, that double hole pin black phenolic socket, the upper one of your twp pics, is the Omron Japan I spoke about that I got from Steve at Apex Jr. They are now up to $1.99 from $1.75 but no big deal, well worth it IMHO.

They are not the wraparound pin type which I agree is better, it certainly is in the old Cinch Noval 9-pin sockets I've been using lately. But they're still very servicable and the price is right. I just would not use them at 500V, nor any plain phenolic socket for that matter.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes he has some great prices for sure.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!