which Fluke?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bill Moore

Re: which Fluke?

Post by Bill Moore »

I can only add to the quality of the Fluke meters. I had a 77 back in the 80's that was furnished by the employer, really great. I left and bought an 88, (designed for us mechanics). Later bought an 87 for my hobby use. I still use both, and the only maintenance has been the display connector, which is easily replaced. I have actually bought 2 pawnshop 87's with connector problems, (cheap), repaired them and gave them to guys who were working for me. (Keeps mine cleaner!)
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Bill Moore wrote:the only maintenance has been the display connector, which is easily replaced.
FYI, if the displays on the 85 or 87 are dim or segments missing usually a quick clean of the zebra strip can solve this. The displays on the 85 & 87 are held in place with a plastic carrier that snaps to the pcb. These can easily be removed and the zebra strip and pcb points wiped with alcohol.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I appreciate all the replys! So I was able to secure a good local deal today on two 87V's, both in great shape. I'm going to put one up for sale on the forum and share the wealth. The seller had a 79 too, but I didn't have enough cash for three of them.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

amplifiednation wrote:So I was able to secure a good local deal today on two 87V's, both in great shape.
Nice! They're very good meters. They are forgiving too if you accidently touch B+ in mV mode :oops: :o
amplifiednation

Colossal wrote:
amplifiednation wrote:So I was able to secure a good local deal today on two 87V's, both in great shape.
Nice! They're very good meters. They are forgiving too if you accidently touch B+ in mV mode :oops: :o
I hope I never accidently touch B+ again!

Does anyone use the static ground bracelet? Thats probably more of a computer repair tactic, correct? The Fluke seller was asking.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

You want the static ground if you are working with sensitive devices like that JFET on the Dumble input..
rsi

Post by rsi »

We've got 2 189s and a 289 here. I usually use the 189 because the 289 is bigger and has more stuff on it that i don't use. Never had any problems with any of them though.
Joe L

Post by Joe L »

I already have a couple of 87s and love them for on the go but I have always wanted a high accuracy bench model. Just by coincidence, I have an 8520A in the mail that I got off ebay for $100 total. 5 1/2 digits baby!

The guy has just one left at the same price. Search for item #290638776417 if interested or want to see what I got.

..Joe L
amplifiednation

I'm happy to have finally gotten a good meter. I feel like I have just a little more control over the beast!

Thanks for all the advice. Those bench models are cool but I am constantly fighting myself for space in the shop.

Now on to the scope...and a second table saw.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

Hi All,

I have a FL87III and a FL87V - accurate and foolproof - 20KHz true rms - 4 measurements/second - able to measure correctly where my other DMMs are completely lost ! not cheap, but definetly good equipment...

A+!
amplifiednation

Any opinions on the "scopemeters" like the Fluke 99B? It has ossilloscope capabilities. Would something like that work as a good scope for checking out amps? Probably overkill.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation