Dr. Z Stangray clone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

yalesmith

Dr. Z Stangray clone

Post by yalesmith »

I am looking to build (actually I have started) and could not find any information ont the PT, OT and choke. I know they use a Cin tran 3428 PT, a ACT-Frost 40W 4k OT and a Cin-tran 3229 choke but unable to find specific data on these components. Anyone have any ideas? any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks
jon

Re: Dr. Z Stangray clone

Post by jon »

If it were me I would use express pt a dynaclone ot and a Hammond 158 choke. I used this in my Rx es and it is fantastic.
Drew.12345

Post by Drew.12345 »

I used MM Vox AC-30 woden iron(PT and OT) and AC-30 choke for mine.
I believe this amp is supposed to be a stripped down version of an AC-30 top boost channel if i'm not mistaken.
One of the best clean sounds IMHO and VERY pedal friendly.

Drew
daz

Post by daz »

I used some old Dagnall vox ac30 OT and PT and it sounds great.
I'd change the stock tonestack as really sucks the life (and volume) out of this amp. I replaced it with ritchie's 5e3 tone control and it brought back more punch, mids and body to the amp.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

But the stock tone control IMHO is really what sets this amp apart from others. It does cut a lot of volume and mids but that is the heart of its clean tone. Just for curiosity I replaced the Stangray tone control with a Chieftain tone control which does not cut as much volume and which only cuts mids when turned down. The tone however is totally different.

If I were to build this amp again (I did one with a pair of 6V6s) I probably would

a) use EL84s and
b) rewire the long tail pair to a gain stage and cathodyne PI.

This should still provide enough drive to the EL84s and would give another gain stage to make up for the volume loss from the tone control.

Cheers Stephan
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

It does cut a lot of volume and mids but that is the heart of its clean tone.
As an owner of an S series Dr Z Stangray with open back 212 blue/gold this statement makes me confused because I don't find the tone control affecting volume at all and have not noticed mid frequency problems. I use the cut control to adjust to taste as well.

Mark
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

M Fowler wrote:
It does cut a lot of volume and mids but that is the heart of its clean tone.
As an owner of an S series Dr Z Stangray with open back 212 blue/gold this statement makes me confused because I don't find the tone control affecting volume at all and have not noticed mid frequency problems. I use the cut control to adjust to taste as well.

Mark
Mark,

Of course rotating the tone control has no effect on the volume. But if you disconnected the tone control from the circuit you would get a lot more volume and midrange. I know because I went through all these stages with my personal build.

Cheers Stephan
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I understand now :)

Mark
cap217

Post by cap217 »

I just opened up my DR Z Stangray and I see that I have a Heybor choke and a Heybor PT. I dont know what the OT is though but it doesnt look like a Heybor and doesnt say Cin Tran.

I am curious why my Ray has Heybor stuff.

And I have a 50w/4000/4-8-16 xformer not the 40w you guys say you have.

And I have IC 47uf/500v caps instead of the 40uf/450v atom caps.
Last edited by cap217 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

cap217 wrote:I just opened up my DR Z Stangray and I see that I have a Heybor choke and a Heybor PT. I dont know what the OT is though but it doesnt look like a Heybor and doesnt say Cin Tran.

I am curious why my Ray has Heybor stuff.
What year is it?
cap217

Post by cap217 »

12/2011
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cap217

Post by cap217 »

Also, this ray sounds very close to a z wreck to me. It sounds good clean up to 4 but after that, it starts to take off in a weird way. I hear about people pushing the ray up and staying clean but this one gets overdriven with the ef86.
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

I've heard him say he was having trouble getting some of his transformers and was switching to some other brands but didn't know he was using Heyboer. But on the other hand I had a kid in my shop this summer who saw our Z's and said he made some of their transformers but couldn't tell me which ones. He said his dad is one of the owners of Heyboer. Up until now I haven't seen any in Z's amps.

I wouldn't worry much about it, I'm sure they're made to the same specs as the old ones.

I used a Ray for over a year as my main amp and I also found that it broke up pretty early with humbuckers.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If I'm not mistaken, the EIA code indicates a Schumacher transformer.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

I thought 606 was Schumacher too....that's the EIA on a set of transformers I salvaged from an old Carvin 100 watter...
First 25 years of playing, I never got along with EL84's...Now I think, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH ME????