Good Circuit to Cram in Bugera V5 Cabinet?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The New Steve H

Good Circuit to Cram in Bugera V5 Cabinet?

Post by The New Steve H »

A long time ago, before I became a total amp genius (shut up), I got a Bugera V5. This is a 5-watt amp with an attenuator. This week I took it out and played through it.

It's pretty bad. I don't think I could ever enjoy using it again. The sound is coarse.

The cabinet is very nice. I'm thinking I might gut it and stick a better circuit in there. I could use it as a head. What's a nice, clear, warm circuit that would fit in a little-bitty cabinet?

Maybe I could stick a Little Wing in there.
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
Phil_S

Re: Good Circuit to Cram in Bugera V5 Cabinet?

Post by Phil_S »

You gonna tell us anything more? Chassis dimensions? Transformer specs? Number of pre-drilled knobs? How 'bout a picture or two?
The New Steve H

I just assumed you guys knew EVERYTHING!

Here are a couple of photos I stole. The speaker is 8", so you can see how big the box is. I don't know the transformer specs.

I would rip the reverb out of there, if indeed there is a pan, because I like pedals, and I don't want to learn how to put a reverb in a circuit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camerongrieve

Post by camerongrieve »

It's Bugera's version of a Valve Junior, it has 1 x 12AX7 and 1 x EL84, digital effects and attenuator.

Any of the VJ conversions would probably work with it.
There's some V5 schematics and mod info over at sewatt.com. You'll need to join if you're not already a member.

If it was me I'd probably turn it into a 5C1 or 5F2a. Cover any unused holes with a new faceplate and you're good to go.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Oh wow.

I'd cram a boogie mkIV or an AC30, and a Blackface Twin with reverb, an effects loop, a line out, separate jacks for all imps, an added gain stage and PAB.... but I never finish anything.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
camerongrieve

Post by camerongrieve »

Yeah you might like to add a bright switch too - but then you'd have to use a shorter reverb tank :lol:
Jana

Post by Jana »

I'm thinking either a Champ or a 100W plexi.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Built-attenuator. jim Kelly FACS channel on a footswitch.

Cover it in aluminum plate and bronze rivets with a square cut from a vintage Budweiser towel as a grille cloth. Make sure The Budman's mask is centered.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
The New Steve H

Maybe a Little Wing is the way to go, but I would have to redo the faceplate.

This is a problem amp. It's not good enough to use, it's too good to throw out, it's not expensive enough to make it worth selling, and it has a very nice cabinet I hate to waste.
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

I think I would do a 5F1, with a line out and volume for the line out. Add a dummy load in there for when you want to unplug the speaker and you have yourself a Herzog.

I did so with a 5E3 circuit in a head format, and I've found a lot of use for it, either as a great little amp on it's own, or a great tube drive amp to go in front of the input of a Traynor YGL-3a (big super clean amp).
I think a little single-ended amp is more ideal for Herzog duties though and it doesn't require as big of a dummy load.
cbass

Post by cbass »

5f2-a and cram a ten in there.
Paultergeist

Post by Paultergeist »

Dang!

Do ya know what started it all -- what got me started in amp-building?

IT ALL STARTED with a little bitty Epiphone Valve Jr......some guy was selling a little "upgrade kit"......which turned into multiple upgrades, a new speaker, new iron, then-oh-hell-just-rip-out-the-PCB-and-hand wire-it.......

That was a while ago, then came a couple of Weber kits, a Ceriatone, a Brown Note, and some other stuff I just started cobbling together.......

Looking at that Bugera, I started having flashbacks......

.....anyone know if that cabinet is plywood or particle-board? (LOL)
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

OOOPS! YOU already did the whole Herzog thing. We've totally been through this before. You'd probably want to try something new.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Hook it to a 12" and see how it sounds you might be surprised. That only takes moving two wires. Could save you from a whole lotta work to find out a 5f2a sounds crappy w a 8"...though alum plate w bronze rivets and a budman cape grillcloth can make even the crappiest 8" sound like heaven.
The New Steve H

How essential is it that I use the Budman and not some other beer mascot?