Need PT for Fender Champ 25

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bill Moore

Need PT for Fender Champ 25

Post by Bill Moore »

Does anybody have a source for a Champ 25 power transformer? It's a little odd in that it has the usual tube voltage taps, but it also has a 38 volt center tap for the solid state section.
David Root

Re: Need PT for Fender Champ 25

Post by David Root »

I looked at the schematic, that may be a tough row to hoe. In addition to the 38VAC winding, the main HT winding is for a full wave bridge rectifier and has no CT. This is not common in MI amp PTs which usually use a full wave half bridge with a CT. Since there is 400VDC coming off the bridge rectifier, the HT winding is about 285-0 VAC.

You could use a 150-0-150 VAC PT and not connect the CT, then add a separate 38 or 40VAC CT (20-0-20) to replace the original 38VAC winding. That is a PITA and you'd have to find room for the second transformer, but it would work.

Hopefully someone has a neater solution.
Bill Moore

Thanks for the tip.

Post by Bill Moore »

I appreciate the tip, of course I would like to find a replacement, but two transformers might be the answer.
tubetek

Re: Need PT for Fender Champ 25

Post by tubetek »

If you have the number from the original PT, Steve at angela has many later-model Fender PTs for real cheap but they are listed by Fender number only; no model names. www.angela.com
Hope this helps!
tubetek
Bill Moore

Thanks for the lead.

Post by Bill Moore »

Thanks, I went to that site, but did not find that pt listed. I e-mailed Steve with the Pt.No. 003-9043-000. Maybe I'll get lucky, Thanks again.
Bill Moore

Still looking for PT

Post by Bill Moore »

So far I have had no luck locating a pt for my Champ 25. I work in the auto repair business, and sometimes used is the only way to fix an older vehicle. Wouldn't it be great if there was a guitar amplifier junk yard? I'm still looking.