eBay Cap board for tube amp for snapmount electrolytics?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rp

eBay Cap board for tube amp for snapmount electrolytics?

Post by rp »

Saw this and thought it was pretty cool. I know absolutely nothing about the seller but he deserves a plug for making it. Sure would open up a whole new world of caps. Anyone ever try these or a DIY solution? Anyone use snapmounts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-PCB-Cap-boa ... 2318eb16a7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Re: eBay Cap board for tube amp for snapmount electrolytics?

Post by martin manning »

No reason those caps won't work fine, and as I recall someone adapted a D-type power supply pcb to use snap mount caps by drilling new holes and connecting the leads to the existing axial cap pads with wire leads. I don't know about that specific item but Pete Millett is well known in DIY tube audio circles. Check out his web pages (URL is on the pcb) and also look at the tube breadboarding sockets offered on e-Bay.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

IMHO, this is way cool. It also opens up the world of radial caps, which always seem to be plentiful and lower cost.

And unrelated...a shameless plug for help on my 5B6 problem in the Fender section? Thanks.
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

I've been using these 9volt battery holders to mount snap-in caps in an amp chassis. Really tight fit and suitable for 22-26 mm diameter caps and they are about 0,5€ each. You can also use them for totem pole arrangement for smaller diameter caps.

-T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simplify before you amplify
soma_hero

Post by soma_hero »

I use snap mounts almost exclusively. The pin spacing is just right to slide into two lugs on a terminal strip or into a turret board. I like to either lay them down sideways and solder the pins to a terminal strip. Or if i am using a turret board, the pins fit just right and I"ll stand them up into two eyelets. You can't push them flush, you need to leave room to angle in and solder (or do it from underneath but this eliminates serviceability later).
rp

Post by rp »

soma_hero wrote:I use snap mounts almost exclusively. The pin spacing is just right to slide into two lugs on a terminal strip
Never occurred to me to try this, I guess this is what the forum is for. I will order up a few snap mounts, Panasonic caps are supposedly very good, now I can try. Thanks
David Root

Post by David Root »

Nice idea! Pete Millet's site contains mountains of historical tube stuff that was trashed by the manufacturers long ago. I recommend a perusal.

Only potential limitation to mounting caps vertically is headroom, however mounting the board on a chassis apron could take of that.

With the advent of the newer 600V rated electrolytics, many circuits will not require series connection of plate caps to get adequate headroom above plate voltage at idle. One more expensive cap vs. two less expensive caps. I know that good 600V solder lug caps up to 100uF are now available fairly reasonably priced.

Plus a completely "classic" PS; this might be worth a thread of its own??
rp

Post by rp »

and they seem to be a lot smaller, not having to appeal to the vintage crowd maybe they aren't all empty inside?
xtian

Post by xtian »

David Root wrote:I know that good 600V solder lug caps up to 100uF are now available fairly reasonably priced.
Didn't find at Mouser. Where are you looking?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
David Root

Post by David Root »

justradios.com. The mfr. is MIEC. I used 22uF 600V on my 102 build for the screens and PI. This site caters to old radio hounds so they have lots of the old 16, 20, 30, 40, 50uF values which are nice in old amp builds too. All the way up to 600V.

I like 'em because they're in Canada and I don't have pay exhorbitant freight. They price everything in $US though and I imagine they do most of their biz in the States. They only sell caps and resistors though.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

deleted
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thanks, David!

Their web programming is like 1950s radios--OLD!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Are you kidding me? I love that 'one big long page' style. :P