winding output transformer

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

Re: winding output transformer

Post by C Moore »

Sorry for the um-informed question.....but how do you get the winding(s) to go evenly from right to left (or left to right) and not just pile up on top of each other.?
Thank You
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

sagitt wrote:
VacuumVoodoo wrote:Hmm...thought you rigged up that calculator for counter job, myself - wouldn't bother to build a discrete decade counter, born lazy :wink:
Place the calculator so that the single tooth on the wheel will press "=" button every turn. Enter "1 +" into calculator, now every time "=" button is pressed it increases the count by 1. Or you can start by entering "XYZABC-1", then every time the "=" button is pressed the count decreases by 1.
You can of course connect an external microswitch to the "=" button but it can be necessary to de-bounce it.
thats the way I use calculator,with this laser cutted plexiglass
So what's with that `DIY digital counter? Or did I miss something?
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

hired hand wrote:Sorry for the um-informed question.....but how do you get the winding(s) to go evenly from right to left (or left to right) and not just pile up on top of each other.?
Thank You
spool is feeded with wire by hand so you can control tension,when I finish first layer and start next, first winding is placed between two last windings of first layer.beginning and ending of layer is wind up with less tension so that wire dont falloff...because wire have a mind on its own sometimes you cant escape that...
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:
sagitt wrote:
VacuumVoodoo wrote:Hmm...thought you rigged up that calculator for counter job, myself - wouldn't bother to build a discrete decade counter, born lazy :wink:
Place the calculator so that the single tooth on the wheel will press "=" button every turn. Enter "1 +" into calculator, now every time "=" button is pressed it increases the count by 1. Or you can start by entering "XYZABC-1", then every time the "=" button is pressed the count decreases by 1.
You can of course connect an external microswitch to the "=" button but it can be necessary to de-bounce it.
thats the way I use calculator,with this laser cutted plexiglass
So what's with that `DIY digital counter? Or did I miss something?
counter is working but not exactly ass I wanted,counter is triggered by this 555 IC when you press the switch and keep it pressed and his clock is determined by this RC value.I dont need that IC,didnt think of that when I look at schematics :oops: only need this switch and piece of plexiglass to trigger the counter...
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

sagitt wrote:
hired hand wrote:Sorry for the um-informed question.....but how do you get the winding(s) to go evenly from right to left (or left to right) and not just pile up on top of each other.?
Thank You
spool is feeded with wire by hand so you can control tension,when I finish first layer and start next, first winding is placed between two last windings of first layer.beginning and ending of layer is wind up with less tension so that wire dont falloff...because wire have a mind on its own sometimes you cant escape that...
Bare with me.....so you literally hand guide (hand wind) the entire tranny.?
Each wind can be hundreds of turns.?
Thanks
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I am not surprised he hand feeds the windings. It is rather a complex task to build a feeder that works. If you've ever seen a picture of a commerical winding machine you'd understand immediately. It involves both tension and lateral movement.

He's using a windshield wiper motor (clever, 2 speeds?), which has a relatively slow turning speed. I think you simply need to wear a leather work glove and feed. If it turns 50t/minute (guessing), you have 3000t/hour. It could be a bit tiresome, but I think for a low tech, low production, low cost winder, it is first rate. Besides, even if you have a 3000t wind, it would probably be interleaved, so you probably wouldn't wind more than about 25% at any one time before stopping to make a change.

Here's a random homebrew winder that I rather enjoyed watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cahdeR7uB9I

Here's a commercial machine, probably a low end one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syh8NdKIJTE
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Thanks for the info/responses to my questions. Really have a lot of respect for you guys that are doing this.
Where, and when does varnishing enter the picture.?
Thank You

btw.....take a look at the winder this guy built.
best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CGQhxmEIo
katopan

Post by katopan »

Hand guiding the wire isn't as difficult as it seems. You play around with the tension and angle a bit until you get a feel for it, then each layer can end up looking really good. My winder is hand cranked and it's not hard to get a rhythm going and keep it neat with no cross overs or gaps at 150 turns/min or more. The thing that slows you down is stopping every layer to apply your paper. My recent 30W OT had 122 turns per layer and 21 layers of primary. You do 1 layer in less than or around 1 minute, so the transformer actually builds up before you eyes pretty quickly. You spend more time setting up and preparing for winding, and even much more planning it if you're not following a ready made plan than you do actually feeding the wire on.
tsutt

Post by tsutt »

Makes me think of part of an old song..........If i only had a brain....
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

tsutt wrote:Makes me think of part of an old song..........If i only had a brain....
I know you think life is too short to wind your own transformer...
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

hired hand wrote:Thanks for the info/responses to my questions. Really have a lot of respect for you guys that are doing this.
Where, and when does varnishing enter the picture.?
Thank You

btw.....take a look at the winder this guy built.
best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CGQhxmEIo
varnishing! its gona be something like katopan did,check his page...
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

inserting isolation between windings is most conzuming part... http://www.turneraudio.com.au/ check this link,he does it the same way.also check out http://www.ig-transformatoren.com/gener ... ction.html and leslie on 18watt forum,he did great job!
tsutt

Post by tsutt »

sagitt wrote:
tsutt wrote:Makes me think of part of an old song..........If i only had a brain....
No really too stupid to be able to do that. i be one them unedmicated types.
cbass

Post by cbass »

tsutt wrote:
sagitt wrote:
No really too stupid to be able to do that. i be one them unedmicated types.
The correct term is diseducated
tsutt

Post by tsutt »

when i got to 7th grade the school counselor called me in and told me i would never amount to anything, so just stick to the program and you will get through. I remember that like it was yesterday. What a way to help a troubled kid. and it was all down hill from there.