Unleash peeps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bcmatt

Re: Unleash peeps

Post by bcmatt »

Well, I got it sorted... after a bunch more tube swapping... it was just the short cable I was using coming out of the Reverb unit. That explains my inconsistent results, but I was using it most of the time with my reverb unit in the last couple days. Anyways, that was stupid. My reverb unit is fine.

It can work in the UNleash loop, only if my Boss Delay Pedal is after it. Which is fine, I suppose. I generally am a minimalist and an Old-Schooler, so having a delay pedal on stage makes me feel less cool, but I guess so does having something as modern as an Unleash on display for all to see... so whatever. I make weird rules for myself that no one else cares about or notices about my rig anyways.

I'm gonna start using some humbuckers with my Liverpool now that I'm running at normal Plate Voltages. My strat frets are pretty worn in spots and need some work.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

bcmatt wrote: .. so whatever. I make weird rules for myself that no one else cares about or notices about my rig anyways.
You and almost everyone else. I count to ten during any simple task just fast enough to get to ten when it's finished. Sugar in my coffee, water in a glass, how long it takes to pee..

If I want more sugar I count slower. It's a rule.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

Reeltarded wrote: You and almost everyone else. I count to ten during any simple task just fast enough to get to ten when it's finished. Sugar in my coffee, water in a glass, how long it takes to pee..

If I want more sugar I count slower. It's a rule.
Bahaha!

Awww crap! I tend to absorb other people's rules... I'm probably going to be doing that now too; I just hope I can keep myself from doing it out loud.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I counted to ten waiting for this page to load.. I counted really fast. Gotta know the rules to play the game! Welcome!! ;)

Be back, gotta wash my hands for ten seconds... again. two three ... four... five..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
husky

Post by husky »

vibratoking wrote:Just looked at the manual...yay speakon connectors. Great idea...I would have never thought of that.
Due to it being Class D (floating ground) there is a potential of getting shocked if they didn't do that. It was a necessity.
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
husky

Post by husky »

bcmatt wrote:
Smokebreak wrote:I'm surprised no one has built one yet;) or maybe someone has?
It's not super complicated and we do have other threads on this:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c7be4f5efe

It is a good reactive load and hen an SS class D 100 watt power amp.
But it is in a nice compact case with 2 footswitchable volume presets and an effects loop with a lifetime warranty. If I were to attempt something similar it would likely be large and ugly and take a long time to get working nicely... Including a lot of harrassment of the guys here.
I may experiment with just making the reactive load at some time...that would be handy for turning any amp into a Herzog with "feel" that one could put effects after and into another amp... Although I imagine that could do this easily with the Unleash using the effects loop out...
It is a partial reactive load same as a Palmer. It does not mimic the resonance of the speaker or cabinet. IMO that is very important.
Last edited by husky on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Miles got me all hot to use my Unleash again. I used it once then got busy with work for a few months. Just plugged it in today and pfft. Something burned on the board and the fan stopped working, plus there is now a bad hum through the speaker.
Called Brian and he's given me an RMA, so it will get fixed but I will be interested to see if they can track down the cause, since it was plugged in properly.
Great customer service, I must say.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Anyone care to speculate on the attenuator component values or configuration? I've read the posts mentioned before. This one seems to have a lot of info:

http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion ... c=34991.15

...with a few of these units at hand to privileged members here... Miles... Just wondering if you could take a peek... :D

The power amp and switching section are cake. There are plenty of plug-and-play SS amps that could be inserted into whatever configuration desired (stereo). But the values of the attenuator would be sweet! Maybe pm some pics?

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

There are gut shot photos on Bad Cat's website you can look at. Lot of components in one of these.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Mark, I'm sorry I can't find them. I have been looking though. All I found on the site was pics of the front and the back panel. I'm sure I must be missing them somewhere.

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here are some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Next couple days will look at what one is. :)

OH wait.. There it is.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

gktamps wrote:Miles got me all hot to use my Unleash again. I used it once then got busy with work for a few months. Just plugged it in today and pfft. Something burned on the board and the fan stopped working, plus there is now a bad hum through the speaker.
Called Brian and he's given me an RMA, so it will get fixed but I will be interested to see if they can track down the cause, since it was plugged in properly.
Great customer service, I must say.
There have been a few updates to the unleash board set recently. The original design powered the fan and a few other items from the iCE boards +12vdc ps. The starting current for the fan motor sometimes exceed the current rating of that supply...poof. The front board and connectors have been updated to supply the fan from the - 12vdc supply and they added some in-line resistance to limit the starting current.
I was dealing with Peter, they're a pretty decent bunch. It did take several go arounds and weeks of shipping time to get mine up to date. I'm still waiting on a set of replacement knobs for the front controls. They switched the pots from Bourns w/ solid shafts to alphas with split shafts.

The Unleash is definitely one of my favorite pieces of gear. It's not completely transparent but pretty damn near. Putting a good EQ in the effects loop allows for adding back a little lost highs and a lot of tone shaping possibilities.

Thanks, Reeltarded, for the setting recommendations for low volume.
Steve