Metcal Soldering / Rework station, help needed from the Pros

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

John_P_WI

Metcal Soldering / Rework station, help needed from the Pros

Post by John_P_WI »

I scored a new Metcal 5051 soldering station / rework station, with 2 hand pieces (soldering and desoldering), 2 channels x 80 watts power supply.

Question regarding rework and desoldering, have any of you successfully used the rework hand piece on eyelets? IF so, what dia tip/cartridge works best? Finally, is it possible to do everything from the board top side?

Curious for any help as the tips are not cheap...

Thanks.
VacuumVoodoo

Re: Metcal Soldering / Rework station, help needed from the Pros

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/metca ... mx-ds1.htm

If this is the desoldering piece you got then it will melt the solder in the eyelet but I'm afraid it may not be able to suck up all of the melted solder. As it says in the link, it's for PCB double sided plated through hole components. But since you already got it - try and see, it can't hurt and you may prove me wrong. :wink:
I'm using a copper wick to remove solder with my http://www.thermaltronics.com/ equivalent
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Hi Aleks,

Thank you for your response, yes, that is the desoldering handset. I will give it a go, I do have one tip 1mm dia or so with it. First I need to reorganize my bench (no small effort) and get compressed air to it as well.

Unfortunately, the desoldering tips start around $40 USD each. I love the Metcal stuff, for a hobby guy like me it is a lot of money though.

John
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Aleks,

OK, I answered my own question, yes it works and it works beautifully. Took my nail gun compressor to the bench as an air source and threw a couple of 20 year old oxidized boards in a panavise. Adding a drop of fresh solder to the old eyelet would quickly melt and remove the old solder! If needed, a dental pick could be used to pull the leads out of the eyelet first, then vacuum the remaining solder out of the empty eyelet.

Worked great on pots too, it is so quick I am sure it is better for the components.

The tip had a 0.05 stamped on it, I'm assuming that is 0.05 inch inside diameter. Yes, no more fighting solder extractors and bulbs any more! Just another reason why good tools are expensive and are worth it.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

That's great! Yep, these guns are phenomenal.
I have sent my old soldering irons to the recycling station after I got my Thermaltronics.
Note that many Thermaltronics tips will fit a Metcal, check for equivalents on their website. They're cheaper and work just as well. Buy off ebay.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Masco

Post by Masco »

I've been using a Hakko 808 for desoldering at work for about a year now, works quite well. I use a flux pen on the solder joints and go go go...

http://www.frys.com/product/2760813?sou ... 7AodvA8AlQ
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Thanks Aleks for the tip on the Thermaltronics tips, I'll check into it.
Masco, I'll try the flux pen, thanks.

Here is a pic of the whole system, works impressively well. (not shown is the second cradle for the rework hand piece)

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/metca ... mx5051.jpg

The RF heated soldering tip is heated instantly when removed from the cradle, the rework handset heats up around 10 seconds. Both hand pieces cool down to a lower temperature when placed back in the cradle, saving the tips. Impressive performance to say the least.
Masco

Post by Masco »

John_P_WI wrote: Masco, I'll try the flux pen, thanks.
Prefer the Chemtronics over the Kester. Lasts 2x longer, tip keeps it's shape better/longer.