Suhr Badger 18 gutshots

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Suhr Badger 18 gutshots

Post by xtian »

I had not seen inside a Suhr amp. Very nice lead dress. I especially like the way the shields of the coax runs are grounded with an extra length of bare wire soldered to the shield. Double-sided, thru-hole plated PCB. London Power licensed scaling. Note epoxied components!

I hate to imagine the work required to change the e-caps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Structo

Re: Suhr Badger 18 gutshots

Post by Structo »

Wow!

That is purdy!

I love well designed PCB boards.

Best way to ensure reliability and consistency. :D

What do you think is under the epoxy?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

xtian wrote:I hate to imagine the work required to change the e-caps.
Probability that you'll ever need to is very low. Even assuming tough working conditions - I don't think temperature inside Badger's chassis ever exceeds 50C - these Panasonic TS-UP caps will have a life time close to or more than 2000000 hrs.
This shows how to arrive at this figure and also how to correctly handle electrolytic caps.
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... 052705.pdf
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
armillary

Post by armillary »

Structo wrote:What do you think is under the epoxy?
Some proprietary secret ingredient? I doubt it's for heat dissipation, except maybe as thermal insulation?
rp

Post by rp »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:these Panasonic TS-UP caps will have a life time close to or more than 2000000 hrs.
The Hifi guys always talk highly of panasonic caps, for many years too now too, I think it's the FM series, not sure what size those are. I had no idea about the crazy long life ones.

I want to move to radials, more choice, smaller, cheaper, easier to source, just don't know were to start with PTP builds. Next board in a nice sized chassis I do I must force myself to go radial.

Anyone know about snap-ins - is there a rivet/eyelet that works perfect? How does board thickness play in? If I manage to work out the snap in thing do I just solder to the cap tab. How do you snap out in the future? Have any of you turret board builders (non PCB) guys worked out a clever way to incorporate snap-ins?
xtian

Post by xtian »

rp wrote:I want to move to radials, more choice, smaller, cheaper, easier to source, just don't know were to start with PTP builds.
I've been trying to work them in, but still make their solder points available on the top of the board. This approach was pretty successful for the short, radial cans:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22152
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

rp wrote:
VacuumVoodoo wrote:these Panasonic TS-UP caps will have a life time close to or more than 2000000 hrs.
The Hifi guys always talk highly of panasonic caps, for many years too now too, I think it's the FM series, not sure what size those are. I had no idea about the crazy long life ones.
OOPS...I pressed the "0" key one too many times... it's only 2 hundred thousand hrs, not 2 million. Still, long enough. The 3000hrs stated in the datasheet pertain to operation at 85C at nominal working voltage and max specified ripple current. Operating conditions in an 18W amp are a lot less stressing on these caps.
rp wrote: Anyone know about snap-ins - is there a rivet/eyelet that works perfect? How does board thickness play in? If I manage to work out the snap in thing do I just solder to the cap tab. How do you snap out in the future? Have any of you turret board builders (non PCB) guys worked out a clever way to incorporate snap-ins?
I wouldn't use snap-in caps on anything other than a PCB.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Zagray!-review
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

xtian wrote:
rp wrote:I want to move to radials, more choice, smaller, cheaper, easier to source, just don't know were to start with PTP builds.
I've been trying to work them in, but still make their solder points available on the top of the board. This approach was pretty successful for the short, radial cans:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22152
The way you've bent leads on those caps puts mechanical stress on their internal structure. This can in worst case cause an internal short circuit. Next time bend them 5mm away from the base using round nose pliers. Please?
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Zagray!-review
xtian

Post by xtian »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:Please?
OK, thanks!
rp

Post by rp »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:Next time bend them 5mm away from the base using round nose pliers. Please?
I'll use radial for bypass sometimes, I bend the crapola out of them, get them nice and flat! Thanks for the warning.

Xtian terrific notched bored, but a pita to do, guessing you drilled out the holes then cut the board in half? Then you glued them down? I refuse to glue stuff, sometimes I'll do a long run of wire with a blob of hot glue, but I hate it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

rp wrote:
VacuumVoodoo wrote:Next time bend them 5mm away from the base using round nose pliers. Please?
I'll use radial for bypass sometimes, I bend the crapola out of them, get them nice and flat! Thanks for the warning.

Xtian terrific notched bored, but a pita to do, guessing you drilled out the holes then cut the board in half? Then you glued them down? I refuse to glue stuff, sometimes I'll do a long run of wire with a blob of hot glue, but I hate it.
No, I just drilled the holes where you see them, near the edge of the board, using my drill press. No slippage. No glue, either. If anyone wants a truly tour worthy amp from me, I'll get all milspec, but until then I'm not worried about it.
husky

Post by husky »

xtian wrote:
I hate to imagine the work required to change the e-caps.
Actually piece of cake,
You lift that one shielded wire off the pot
Undo the Board screws and flip it over.
Being in the repair buis for so many years I always think of those situations.
:wink:
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
husky

Post by husky »

urg
Last edited by husky on Thu May 01, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nice, John! Thanks for posting. And sorry about the PHP bug double-post thing. That's a patented feature of ampgarage.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I suppose you can't blame a guy for a bit of goop. At least his is tastefully applied. Any one of use could figure out what's on that board if we wanted to. <shrug>