HELP! No sound on Clean Channel on Dual EQ SLO clone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

versital

HELP! No sound on Clean Channel on Dual EQ SLO clone

Post by versital »

I'm working on a SLO clone with dual EQ stack on a ampclones SLO100 PCB. I followed the BOM list and official SLOcone schematics. I've built many regular SLO clones before so this baffles me!!

Overdrive channel works OK, all controls work. When I switch to Clean I only get a pop and faint sound at Max gain (probably a bleed from the OD channel) The Volume and EQ controls have no effect.

Troubleshooting
1. I ran line from FX loop send to another amp and had same result. loud/normal overdrive signal and faint clean/bleed signal
2. replaced V1 tube -no effect
3. replaced C7-22nf Coupling cap - no effect
4. replaced LDR5 and LDR4 VTL5C1 - no effect.
5. Bypassed clean/crunch switch circuit going from board to gain pot -no effect
6. Bypassed LDR5 with jump from R17 to R21, I got a boost in volume but still not much. still very low compared to OD
7. Checked voltage at V1a Pin 1 & 3 to be normal range
8. cant be heater issue since OD sound awesome
9. Since running 7 LDR's changed switching circuit power suppply resistors R64 from 47ohm to 15ohm & R65 33ohm to 15ohm.

I've traced the board out and this channel is to small to give me such a big headache.

Any Ideas how to resolve this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
husky

Re: HELP! No sound on Clean Channel on Dual EQ SLO clone

Post by husky »

If that is the same method as the original it is a brute force way of toggling the vactrols and it can be a balancing act but it does work. Extra energy and heat is thrown away. You need to trace the transformer specs and your wiring. Personally though I would use a different method of toggling the Vactrols maybe driven by a simple 4049 driving transistors.
That way it is also way more compatible with switching.
Did you try and switch without the LED in the footswitch
You could also have a dead vactrol, seen it many times. You have a scope and ohm meter? It shouldn't be too hard to track it down
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
versital

Re: HELP! No sound on Clean Channel on Dual EQ SLO clone

Post by versital »

I have a ohm/voltage meter but no scope. I have a bypass front panel channel switch connected to switch without LED pedal. No change!! What do I look for on the dead vactrol?