Suggestion for a new discussion area... Parts Sourcing

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

yeahyeah

Suggestion for a new discussion area... Parts Sourcing

Post by yeahyeah »

don't you think it would be cool to have an area just for disscussing where to get amp parts?

Since there is no single store that sells everything we need at the best price. Most everyone buys from several sources never knowing if they are really getting the best deal.

Anyway I'm looking for transformers at the moment for my next D-clone project when it comes around. What do you use and where do you buy from?
nickt

Re: Suggestion for a new discussion area... Parts Sourcing

Post by nickt »

Hey great idea! :D I'm always looking for where I saw some part or other.

One thing to watch though - 18watt got into trouble with "vendor X's parts/service/dogs are crap" type threads. :roll:

So everyone would have to be "nice" :wink: (at least in public :twisted: )
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

My faves:

Ken Watts at www.turretboards.com

small iron from www.musicalpowersupplies.com

Almost everything from https://secure.cedist.com/ This is a password-protected site, so you have to apply for a customer number to gain access to the prices and be able to order.

Sometimes stuff from:
www.allenamps.com ($50 minimum but Great iron!)
Ampwares
TubeDepot
MojoMusicalSupply

Best prices on handles/feet/corners/Eminence speakers BLTSound.com
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
yeahyeah

Post by yeahyeah »

nickt wrote:One thing to watch though - 18watt got into trouble with "vendor X's parts/service/dogs are crap" type threads. :roll:

So everyone would have to be "nice" :wink: (at least in public :twisted: )
Right, well what I had in mind was just a forum with different sticky threads for transformers, chassis, small components...etc.

Keep it simple, just the facts and numbers. So you wouldn't have to weed through 5 pages of disscussion to find a part number or price.(We already have that!)

Where everyone could post what they use, why they like it, where they get it, and what the price is. and we could have a simple policy "If you don't like it, don't post it or mention it"
Omar

Post by Omar »

Instead of creating a new discussion area, I would like to make use of the wiki (http://wiki.ampgarage.com) that I set up about a year ago but has not been used. Admittedly, it needs some refinement such as allowing the forum's user account to be used on the wiki. I found something that might work.

It would be great to see the wiki used for information pages such as parts, vendors, explanation of circuits, etc. It's just a matter of getting people to add the info. Any thoughts or ideas?

Omar
Tone by misadventure
nickt

Post by nickt »

Hi Omar,

A wiki is more conducive to facts not opinions - eg how to resolve OD's vs Mallory's vs SoZo's vs ... in a wiki? .

I think YeahYeah's idea is more user friendly. It allows for shootout threads and "hey I just found cheap ****'s and want to share" or "group buy ****'s?" or "what's the best ****?".

YeahYeah has a narrower view than me on what should be the content but over the whole forum there is a lot of interest in parts and a concensus would quickly develop.

Perhaps we could try both?

my 2c

Nick
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

That would be cool, A tube amp swap meet!