Power Amp In

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

Power Amp In

Post by C Moore »

Is there a schem for adding a Power Amp Input to a BF/SF Bassman.?
I guess I would want to go into the PI...but I am not sure how to set up the switching...to separate the Bassman Preamp from the incoming preamp to Power Amp connection...if you know what I am trying to say.
Thank You
doing a search also
Gibsonman63

Re: Power Amp In

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Off, the top of my head, I would think you could do it like an effect return. I troubleshoot amps with an effect loop by using an external preamp out into the effect return, bypassing the amps preamp section as a basic divide and conquer strategy.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This is how I do it. Also works as a passive effects loop. Just be sure to put the jacks before the input cap for the PI.

http://home.comcast.net/~seluckey/amps/ ... vember.pdf
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

What if you just wanted a Single In for the Power Amp.?
Could you do that with a TRS Jack.?
Somehow Ground/Defeat the preamp signal, and allow an outside preamp to feed into the Power Amp, but it would allow the Bassman to function normally when not in use.?
Thank You
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Then don't install the preamp out jack. You don't need a two circuit TRS jack. Just a simple switchcraft 12A (single circuit with switch) will do. The preamp will be disconnected from the PI when you insert a plug into the power amp input jack. No need to actually ground the internal preamp.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

sluckey wrote:
Then don't install the preamp out jack. You don't need a two circuit TRS jack. Just a simple switchcraft 12A (single circuit with switch) will do. The preamp will be disconnected from the PI when you insert a plug into the power amp input jack. No need to actually ground the internal preamp.
OK, that is where I went wrong, it (preamp) can just sit idle, and disconnected from the output.
Thanks