SD60 build completed! Clip...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

John_P_WI

Re: SD60 build completed! Clip...

Post by John_P_WI »

Beautiful build, super THICK and CHEWY sounding too.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

As always superb build Carl. Sounds wonderful.
The name fits. (THOR). just perfect..
cbass

Post by cbass »

That looks great Carl,I wish you would have built yours first so I could copy yours.
I've got to get a cab for mine.I gave it the road test by knocking it over while sitting its edge .I got the basment done so I was setting up shop down there.Didnt hurt anything except that blackpate triple mica sylvainia I was braggin about is now toast.I thpught I was getting some powertube rattle but it was a loose lightbulb in the ceiling fixture getting shook.Thats was 2.5 on the MV :)
passfan

Post by passfan »

Well I picked up a set of iron for a build of one of these (thanks RH). I am at a crossroads as far as flexibility goes in my tastes and builds. I think the Trainwrecks are novel amps but simple one trick ponies. I need more , especially since I'm setting up a home studio. I cant afford to play an amp that loud as it would seriously limit my hours of operation. Thanks to fusionbear and cbass for loading up this and other threads with info about this amp.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
fusionbear

Post by fusionbear »

passfan wrote:Well I picked up a set of iron for a build of one of these (thanks RH). I am at a crossroads as far as flexibility goes in my tastes and builds. I think the Trainwrecks are novel amps but simple one trick ponies. I need more , especially since I'm setting up a home studio. I cant afford to play an amp that loud as it would seriously limit my hours of operation. Thanks to fusionbear and cbass for loading up this and other threads with info about this amp.
My pleasure!

Here is a clip of my rig.. SD60 and JTM45/100 influenced builds...

http://youtu.be/lP67ZheEYdQ
Learning to learn...
passfan

Post by passfan »

Yea , that's nice there. Coincidentally, I also have a parts pile on the bench for a Park 75 build using a pair of 6550's. I guess I need to get a nice delay pedal with a looper set up. You did it again. :)
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

Was the treble pot log or linear ?
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
memphis032

Post by memphis032 »

I'm planning on doing a 6v6 output SuperDrive build, and have a couple of questions.

I was planning to have a single input jack and use a dpdt relay to switch in the extra stage. I can't see any issues with using standard FX pedal switching for that (the arrangement that grounds the input when it's switched out). Should be ok, shouldn't it?

Also, if this were done, is there going to be a big volume change when switching channels? Would having two master volumes (switched by relay from the same trigger) be necessary?

I have an 8k OT, which is why I was going for 6v6s, but I'd seen that 5881s are often paired with a high output impedance - is 8k going to be too high? The OT should be good for 30W, so should cope with cathode biased 5881s otherwise...
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

That's how I did mine. Single input, and I just used a panel mount dpdt for the switch, no relays, as the faceplate was for an Express, so my bright switch is actually the channel switch :wink: I call it the really bright switch.

The amp is definitely a bit louder running 3 stages as opposed to 2. Triggered MVs linked to each channel would be fun.
jhaas

Post by jhaas »

Smokebreak wrote: Triggered MVs linked to each channel would be fun.
That's what I did, and it is (fun). :)
Two relays triggered together, a DPDT for the channel and a SPDT for the MV. I used a DPDT for both.
memphis032

Post by memphis032 »

I assume two 1M pots in parallel, switching between the wipers?
jhaas

Post by jhaas »

memphis032 wrote:I assume two 1M pots in parallel, switching between the wipers?
Correct!
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

for those interested in iron, the wind pattern of the naylor output is pretty close to the concorde/komet iron. the concorde set would be the one to choose since the 4.8k pri is closer to the 4.3k of the naylor. the power trannie will put you right in the same 490-500v range. and of course i have a concorde set for sale in the for sale section :wink: rh
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice job Carl!

Are those JJ filter cans?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
memphis032

Post by memphis032 »

Another question for them that have played with this circuit: The paralleled 500k pot // 560k resistors - is the resulting "taper" useful or would sticking a 250k pot in there be just as effective?