Two output Trannies in parallel?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Leo_Gnardo

Re: Two output Trannies in parallel?

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote:So can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do it?
I'd leave the secondaries separate, at least for the first go-round, so you can make sure they're in-phase before you do parallel them. Give it a try already, what could go wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
down technical blind alleys . . .
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

If the wired-in-parallel impedance ratio came out like the separate calculation, then they must be in-phase, no?
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

My soldano atomic had 16 ohm out put only. I ran it in an 8 ohm speaker allot. I personally have no problem with speakers mismatch. It probably effects tone and volume but the amps have knobs on the front.
talbany

Post by talbany »

It can be done
Warren Haynes Diaz 100w Marshall Head 2XOPT

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
cbass

Post by cbass »

Just a little update I haven't tried them in parallel yet.I trieD one so far its a schumaker just a little bit physically smaller than the MC tweed deluxe drawings sounds OK plenty loud I wouldn't say the a mp lack s bass but it seems pretty bright .I'll try wiring the other one up in parallel when I get some time
cbass

Post by cbass »

So I went ahead and wired them up in parallel it seems to be working well.no smoke.
I think there is a bit more headroom and bass response just what I was looking for.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I think the parallel ot's Are working fine. But I'm not getting the distortion I was expecting the amp is very loud and has great bass response not flubby at all.it sounds good but to get any kinds breakup I've got to crank the volume buy the videos I've watched it should be pretty well rock in by noon . Im gonna try some different preamp tubes and see what happens
6g3 circuit by the way
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

May be a PPIMV (LarMarr version) will be of some help for you

K
cbass

Post by cbass »

Hmm I wasn't planning on doing a MV I wasn't saying its to loud it just has a lot more headroom than I expected. I'm not getting near the overdrive as the demos I've watchec
I still need to double check my wiring and try some different tubes
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote:I think the parallel ot's Are working fine. But I'm not getting the distortion I was expecting the amp is very loud and has great bass response not flubby at all.it sounds good but to get any kinds breakup I've got to crank the volume buy the videos I've watched it should be pretty well rock in by noon . Im gonna try some different preamp tubes and see what happens
6g3 circuit by the way
1. Different taper pots in the "video" models?

2. If it sounded good before adding the second transformer, you can always back up one step and park it there.

"If it sounds good it IS good" said Duke Ellington.
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:
cbass wrote:I think the parallel ot's Are working fine. But I'm not getting the distortion I was expecting the amp is very loud and has great bass response not flubby at all.it sounds good but to get any kinds breakup I've got to crank the volume buy the videos I've watched it should be pretty well rock in by noon . Im gonna try some different preamp tubes and see what happens
6g3 circuit by the way
1. Different taper pots in the "video" models?

2. If it sounded good before adding the second transformer, you can always back up one step and park it there.

"If it sounds good it IS good" said Duke Ellington.
I'm convinced something ain't right it does have a nice clean sound even backing off the guitar volume it stays crispy.but I've read all about how mean these amps are but this is pretty much clean . I ain't gonna have time to mess with it for a few days so .its frekin hot and my brain is pretty much fried when I get home more than usual.
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

Excuse me, my previous post wasn't complete I wrote
May be a PPIMV (LarMarr version) will be of some help for you
But I forgot to mention a VVR so I would write

May be a PPIMV (LarMarr version) + a VVR to tame B+ only on power tubes will be of some help for you

K
Invertiguy

Post by Invertiguy »

Hmmm... when you parallel output transformers, you maintain the turns ratio, but double the inductance, correct? With twice the inductance, you get greatly improved low frequency response and greater output stage headroom because the core doesn't saturate nearly as easily- however, because output transformer saturation manifests itself as distortion and is one of many parts of what we consider "output stage" distortion, the amp won't break up until a higher volume. You could possibly remedy this by increasing the drive voltage to the output tubes by using a 12AX7, which will drive the output tube grids to clipping with less drive voltage than a 12at7, but you still won't get the parallel output transformers to saturate at a lower volume.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Well I guess its just a clean amp I can't find any errors in swapped premp tubes.uped the bias . it seems to sound really good and the trem is groovy .just doesn't sound like the angry little amp that its described as.guess I'll try it with one OT again.
I can't imagine core saturation causing the difference in distortion I'm hearing.
BTW its a 6g3 deluxe circuit 12ax7 PI