1966 ampeg Gemini

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

menger66

1966 ampeg Gemini

Post by menger66 »

Brother in-law scored it in pawnshop parking lot should have some gut shots tonight it has a celestion speaker and new production 7591 anyone know what stock. Or best speaker should be?[/i]
Leo_Gnardo

Re: 1966 ampeg Gemini

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Gemini with a 12 or 15 inch speaker? If it sounds good with that Celestion, leave 'er be. I favor lightweight 12's like Jensen C12Q or MOD-35. Couple years ago I put a Jensen 120W 15" in a Gemini II, its new owner was head over heels about terrific tone, and you know that amp will never hurt that speaker.
down technical blind alleys . . .
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I bought a brand new Gemini II in '68. It came with a Jensen 15" Concert Series alnico magnet speaker. Played it for 6 years and never had a reason to know what brand the 7591s were. I remember they had a "coin" style octal base. Wish I still had it.

I recently bought a pair of EH 7591s for a Hammond AO-63 conversion project. They sound pretty good.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If it uses 7591 outputs than its a 12 inch driver.
A few years ago when I was going over a guy's he needed a new driver and I let try one of my Emiinence Red fangs in it and there it stayed when the bill was payed, he loved it!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

All the Gemini IIs had a 15" speaker. My blue diamond Gemini II had a 15" speaker AND used 7591s, exactly like the attached schematic.

The later black skinned Gemini IIs still used a 15" speaker but changed over to 6L6s. Other major changes were different PT and FWB rectifier. There were some other small changes as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

There where some of these that used 7868 for outputs, no?

Yea, I was thinking of the reverbrocket II.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

There where some of these that used 7868 for outputs, no?
Maybe? I've never seen one, but Ampeg did travel down a less familiar road, so it's possible. Seems like I've seen lot's of 7868s in old PA amps though.
LeonC

Post by LeonC »

Yes, some did have 7868s. Those are electronically the same tube as 7591s really...just a different pinout.

I do think all the Gemini 1s used 7591s. The IIs started out with 7591s and they began building them with different power tubes in some runs. They even made some later Geminis with 6L6s IIRC (maybe some Gemini 5s or 6s can't recall?)

The Gemini 1s typically had a Jensen C12R, IRRC. Some may have had CTS alnicos or even Hepners. The IIs had 15s and I don't recall seeing anything other than Jenens in them...typically like P15Rs (possibly Ps or Qs...don't remember).
Samsun19

Post by Samsun19 »

(Long time lurker, its post.... cool board)

My Gemini I Loves the Scumnico speaker!

Great amps, they take VVR3's really well to.