6L6 Hole Covers?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wattsup

6L6 Hole Covers?

Post by wattsup »

Whats a good cap or plug to cover an empty 6L6 tube hole? Is there anything that can be had at a hardware store?
Colossal

Re: 6L6 Hole Covers?

Post by Colossal »

If you have an ACE hardware nearby, they have an impressive hardware aisle. You can find black plastic hole covers that should do the job.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Look at plumbing supplies. There are metal and plastic covers for the extra hole in the kitchen sink. Even Home Despot and Blowes should have them. I don't know exactly what they are called.
wattsup

Post by wattsup »

Thanks guys. I have an ACE hardware in town, will check that out for sure. I hadn't even thought ofchecking plumbing supplies! :D
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

If it's a big Ace store, they have amazing amp related stuff (they don't know it, so don't bother asking). Hole covers, standoffs, lots of screws and nuts, strain reliefs, steel and aluminum strips... My local Ace closed. So it's McMaster I guess.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

What's wrong with holes?.....:D

Little extra ventilation :D

Marcus
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

norburybrook wrote:What's wrong with holes?.....:D
Mice. :evil: Also little fingers poking inside if you have kids. Shocks, or unexpected debris finds its way inside, who need that?

Should the hardware/diy/plumbing supply not have your size, Mouser has a terrific selection, lots of diameters plastic & metal hole plugs. Sometimes I need 1 1/8, they got 'em.

Another size, for free if you use the product, McCormick has those mini pepper grinders? The black plastic cap fits perfectly into hole commonly used for standup caps. ;) The price is right!
down technical blind alleys . . .
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I plan on making a few of those tomorrow.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Firestorm wrote:If it's a big Ace store, they have amazing amp related stuff (they don't know it, so don't bother asking). Hole covers, standoffs, lots of screws and nuts, strain reliefs, steel and aluminum strips... My local Ace closed. So it's McMaster I guess.
I feel your pain. We had a big Ace, too. The store has been in business for probably a century. It took the anchor spot on a very small mall that must have been a strip shopping center at one time. It occupied both upper and lower levels. The other day I went over there for paint. The lower level was completely closed off. (They had an interior escalator and that was closed off too.) I managed to figure out the upper level part of the store was still there. It seems they retained the furniture part of the store (outdoor/indoor/gas grills...etc.) Hardware got a small corner, mostly Benjamin Moore paint and one short aisle of actual hardware (IMO a waste of space.) The bins with the screws, standoffs, etc. along with all the tools, plumbing supplies, and other real hardware, which must have taken about 50% of the lower level are all gone. Indeed, it was a very sad day for me to see this. On the brighter side, it was Sunday and the commercial B Moore dealer was closed, I did manage to buy the pint of paint I needed to finish the job in my kitchen.

There is a remaining huge/enormous (big box size) family owned hardware/lumber yard in town, but it is at least a 30 minute drive from me. It is not a casual trip, where I can just fit it in with something else. OTOH, last time I was in the HD, I noticed they had beefed up the stuff in the hardware drawers, but it is decidedly not fun the shop there. Also, it is rare you can actually talk to someone who knows anything.
harleyboy2112

Post by harleyboy2112 »

When I had some of my chassis water jetted out I didn't want to waste any material so I included files for octal and noval block off plates. Definitely didn't waste any material, I ended up with about 70 each of the plates.
Message me and I'll send you a couple if you'd like. I have plenty :D
The noval hole spacing is a little off (measured wrong) but the octals work great. I use the same chassis for a few different amps so I use the plates quite frequently.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Looks like we had the same idea harleyboy! Only mine was laser cut.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

When I cut out my chassis for the PT I save the scrap and shape them into plates to use for covers; otherwise, I also use plastic hole covers from Lowe's.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

That's a good idea mark, most the chassis I cut don't have transformer holes. I am thinking about making some 4.25" by 4.25" squares for transformer holes.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Ic-racer. I've got mine posted on here for under half that price.