Rectangle panel hole punch set

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Rectangle panel hole punch set

Post by M Fowler »

Ha Ha I did forget that trick, short blade on a plastic handle thing.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

xtian wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:00 pm
RockinRocket wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm Interested in price.

When I need a hole such as a transformer cut out I drill the corners and drop in my router.
Yeah, I use a jig saw. Ain't pretty, but the edges get covered by the transformer.
:o

OMG how do you sleep at night?

(it was either that or a robot joke.. live with it!)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I've been drilling a center hole, enlarging it as much as possible with a step drill, then finishing it up with a selection of hand files.

It doesn't take that long but it's not a job I look forward to, either.

The cost of a rectangle punch has always stopped me from getting one.

And the possibility that I might change the exact IEC connector part when I run out of the bag full of them I have and order new ones in the future.

Even if the IEC connectors are similar in size I could still find myself with a file in my hand, fitting the new IEC connector after I've spent a load of cash on a punch so that I wouldn't have to use the files any more.

It also helps that I most likely don't have that many more IEC connectors to mount before I build out and stop building tube guitar amps.

Probably less than 20 more builds so buying an IEC punch at this point is not a wise investment for me.
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

A punch is really the way to go.
Having said that, I dreaded the thought of this part of my last build. The thought of trying to cut, drill, and ultimately file a square hole in a metal chassis was miserable. I only had a cheap drill press at the time, and there was no way I was going to use a dremel to cut anything that might fall under the category of "fabrication". I wanted to come up with some sort of technique which would give me professional looking results, and take as much suck out of the process as possible. Long story short, i decided to try remove as much metal as I could using a drill, and remove the rest using a file. I wasn't sure how it was going to work, but it ended up being way quicker than I expected. Plus it was easy to execute, and I was really happy with the results. Here's how I did it if anyone else wants to try.
IEC Hole Template.jpg
IEC technique step2.jpg
IEC hole.jpg
mockup inside.jpg
mockup back panel.jpg
Oh, I used a step drill for the large center hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I do something similar, but probably quicker: Drill four corner holes, use a saw blade mounted in a handle to cut out the center, finish edges between holes with a file.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I find if I can drill the big hole tangent to 3 sides of the rectangle cut line, I can use a file to elongate it and file into the corners fairly quickly. I'm a few years out from the last build. My recollection is that it takes 20-30 minutes. 1 minute for the drill, 25 minutes with the file. I use a double cut file because it cuts on the push and the pull. A good quality file makes a big difference. Use ear plugs. The screech of the file is unpleasant.

I've tried the technique of drilling the corners. The problem is that it is too easy to cross the tangent line and then you can't put back what you didn't mean to remove.

I've heard of guys using a router on aluminum. I suppose that is an OK approach, but I think you still want to drill the big hole first.

My guess is that a jig saw with a sharp metal cutting blade followed by a file for cleanup is probably close to the router, and probably simpler and faster.

The only really good substitute for a punch is a milling machine ;-)
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

Phil_S wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm I find if I can drill the big hole tangent to 3 sides of the rectangle cut line, I can use a file to elongate it and file into the corners fairly quickly. I'm a few years out from the last build. My recollection is that it takes 20-30 minutes. 1 minute for the drill, 25 minutes with the file. I use a double cut file because it cuts on the push and the pull. A good quality file makes a big difference. Use ear plugs. The screech of the file is unpleasant.

I've tried the technique of drilling the corners. The problem is that it is too easy to cross the tangent line and then you can't put back what you didn't mean to remove.

I've heard of guys using a router on aluminum. I suppose that is an OK approach, but I think you still want to drill the big hole first.

My guess is that a jig saw with a sharp metal cutting blade followed by a file for cleanup is probably close to the router, and probably simpler and faster.

The only really good substitute for a punch is a milling machine ;-)
To be honest, after drilling the 3 corner holes and center, the filling part was complete in around 5-7 minutes(tops). This was the most pleasant surprise. I can't remember if I saw cut the IEC my first time, or tried drilling around the perimeter. Whatever it was, it took a wicked long time. I considered your way, Manning, when I was planning out my strategy. I probably would have gone that route if I had a good saw for that kind of work. I settled on the one above because it was something I could do with the tools I had at the time.