Vox Top Boost preamp... Mud problem

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JimSoprano

Vox Top Boost preamp... Mud problem

Post by JimSoprano »

Hi guys!

Fairly new here. I'm working on a cool project.
I wanted a Top Boost channel to use as rhythm channel and a more overdriven channel for solos. Please see below pictures for schematic and photo of my test preamp.

The preamp and switching works fine, no hum or noise, but I can't get a good brightness out of the top boost part. The overdrive channel works better and is easier to adjust.

Does anyone has an idea to brighten it up in a good way? Could it be possible due to the long leads?

I've tried smaller bypass caps, but won't do much. The only thing worked best was to bypass the 220k resistor after the tone stack with 4,7n and 22n caps. But that sounded like the treble worked in oposite way.

Thnaks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Vox Top Boost preamp... Mud problem

Post by xtian »

Remember that any length of hookup wire adds capacitance. It may be that you've got so much wire running around that you've dulled the top end.

You can increase the value of the 120p bright caps.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Do you have a scope to detect if you have a oscillating problem that would be making for phase canceling?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

xtian wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 pm Remember that any length of hookup wire adds capacitance. It may be that you've got so much wire running around that you've dulled the top end.

You can increase the value of the 120p bright caps.
I’ve tried this, but the effect is to little. This circuit should be ver bright on it’s own, right?
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

Stevem wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm Do you have a scope to detect if you have a oscillating problem that would be making for phase canceling?
I don’t have a scope, but do you suggest phase canceling by wires overlap? I can poke arround with the wires. Funny thing is, it’s dead silence with all this wire…
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

So the ‘out’ is feeding a remote power amp?
If so, how long is the cable between them?
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

pdf64 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:33 am So the ‘out’ is feeding a remote power amp?
If so, how long is the cable between them?
Correct, I run it throug a Marshall 9005 or 18 watt EL84 poweamp. Cable is 3 mtr.

I've ran it side by side through my vox AC30CC2X as well, the amp's preamp had way more brightness, presence and punch.

Could it be the filtering? Should I add a 47uf after the Voltage pump?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The source impedance from your ‘out’ is extremely high, >220k. When combined with cable capacitance, a low pass filter will be formed.
With a 3m cable, it only takes 120pF/metre for a 2kHz LPF.
The effect of that may be what you are hearing.

From Aiken q&a http://aikenamps.com/index.php/technical-q-a
Q: A lot of amps have effects loops. Which ones are buffered and what does that mean?
A: "Buffering" means the fx loop circuit has an amplifier with a low-impedance output to drive cables and effects inputs without signal loss. There is also usually an accompanying buffer on the return side to receive the signal from the effects unit. Essentially, the "buffer" isolates the effect from the amplifier circuitry.

A typical rack-mount line-level type effect may have an input impedance of around 10K ohms, so if you drive it with the typically high-impedances found in guitar amplifier stages, you'll lose signal level, and may get unwanted clipping/distortion.

In addition, a high impedance is far more susceptible to high-frequency rolloff due to cable capacitance, so a low-impedance drive is best to preserve frequency response.
How about if you get rid of the 220k resistors on the channel outputs?
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

The long guitars cables were a big part of the problem. Thanks! Now I'm using shorter cables and ended up with 0,68uf cap on the first cathode. Little less bottom. 22/25uf will be on a switch in final version for sure.

I now have one 220k into two 1M master volumes. I will try removing the 220k as well. But I thought it's often used to make the MV work better. I'm also thinking of a output buffer with a LND150 or IRF820 I've laying arround. Any ideas?

It's now actually a very cool two channel preamp now. Need to test it with my ac30 poweramp next week.
bepone

Post by bepone »

JimSoprano wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:37 am I now have one 220k into two 1M master volumes. I will try removing the 220k as well. But I thought it's often used to make the MV work better. I'm also thinking of a output buffer with a LND150 or IRF820 I've laying arround. Any ideas?
for sure with the output buffer you will remove cable problem, try it you have place, it is easy to do
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I'd still tame that birds nest in the chassis. Shorter wires lower capacitance, crosstalk and potential oscillation.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:08 am I'd still tame that birds nest in the chassis. Shorter wires lower capacitance, crosstalk and potential oscillation.
Yes for sure, but this is only a test setup. If i’m happy with the sound I want to build it in a pedal. I didn’t know the long lead, etc. Would cut so much treble and punch.

The idea for this preamp is that’s almost imposible to get a nice lead biost in gain and volume with some gain on the top boost channel…
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

You need another tube so you can have a cathode follower output.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

That or a MOSFET follower, which has the side bonus to drain the caps.
JimSoprano

Post by JimSoprano »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 am That or a MOSFET follower, which has the side bonus to drain the caps.
This is what I looking for, do you have a solid design for this application? I have a irf820 or lnd150 which I can use.