6g2 blocking distortion at high volume

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sluckey

Re: 6g2 blocking distortion at high volume

Post by sluckey »

audiosalvage wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 pm I am beginning to think that I am expecting too much from this circuit. I am testing this out with an attenuator at full on volume with a full shred pickup. With no attenuator, I get very loud and clean tones past the halfway point. I know it's an old fender design and I'm looking for smooth marshall grind out of it. I'd like to try the zener trick to equal out the Cathodyne balance
I agree. This amp was never designed for what you expect. The 6G2 was a small modest parlor size amp with a student/beginner in mind at a time when Marshall grind was unheard of. Clean with a bit of tremolo, but not loud.

You may get close to the sound you want but don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :D
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

One last question though, I built an Express last year and it had a very high and strong B+ which made it stay clean until excruciating volume. My PT has a dual tap, now if I would use the higher one, could this cure the issue?
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

Yeah I don't want to make it what it's not, I want to make it perform like it should.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Suggest a close review of the cathodyne PI modifications that Dumble used on the Tweedle Dee. Well documented across a few threads here.

Maybe start at this and work backwards :: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=315.

maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

audiosalvage wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:49 am One last question though, I built an Express last year and it had a very high and strong B+ which made it stay clean until excruciating volume. My PT has a dual tap, now if I would use the higher one, could this cure the issue?
You would get more volume, but probably not a whole lot more. More overall voltage isn't going to stop the PI from distorting so tending to that is probably a better move. If you do change the B+, make sure your output tube's plate, screen, and corresponding filter caps can handle the extra voltage. You might need to check the datasheet on your specific output tubes.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

I built an Express on a Traynor YBA-1 chassis. It was unruly and harsh until I lowered the B+ down to 400V. That was the sweet spot.
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

Ok I tried the higher PT tap and it may be a smidge louder but same tone over all. I'll stick with the lower. I will experiment with the grid stopper values and be done. I think a little fuzz at the end of the volume travel can be kind of useful, so long as it doesn't cut out. Thank you all
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

NOW were talkin'! I put some 47k grid stoppers in and I'm happy with the results. full vol has a little saturation and backing it off a bit gives a rich, warm edge. With the tremolo on, it can do "Born on the Bayou" perfectly. Time to put her in a cabinet. Thank you all again. :D
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

Here is a clip of the range of this thing. Strat with SD mini in the bridge and no pedals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
audiosalvage

Post by audiosalvage »

Here is a photo of the final product
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.