Meazzi tube amplifier ith built in tape echo

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy G

Meazzi tube amplifier ith built in tape echo

Post by Guy G »

I saw this amp at a local market. as I understand these are quite rare. it has 1 12inch speaker, made in the 60s.
The seller told me he doesn't have a power cable for it and he never turned it on.
anybody heard these amps before? he asking for about 650$, but i could bring him down a bit...
CaseyJones

Re: Meazzi tube amplifier ith built in tape echo

Post by CaseyJones »

Just my (opionated) opinion:

I've got one of these in non-functional condition. If I just won the lottery and I had $650 burnin' a hole in my pocket I might throw down on it, otherwise it's a curiosity more than anything else. I'd feel guilty takin' $650 for it, I'd be bendin' you over.

I didn't win the lottery and I can think of a long list of things that I could spend $650 on so I'd pass if I were you. I might even pass at fifty bucks.
Guy G

Post by Guy G »

CaseyJones wrote:Just my (opionated) opinion:

I've got one of these in non-functional condition. If I just won the lottery and I had $650 burnin' a hole in my pocket I might throw down on it, otherwise it's a curiosity more than anything else. I'd feel guilty takin' $650 for it, I'd be bendin' you over.

I didn't win the lottery and I can think of a long list of things that I could spend $650 on so I'd pass if I were you. I might even pass at fifty bucks.
Yes, I'm not extremely keen on buying it. but it is rather interesting, especially the echo.
However, I must find away to plug it in and listen to how it sounds... I got no idea where to get a cable nor i know which of the 3 pins is the ground pin..
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Guy G wrote:Yes, I'm not extremely keen on buying it. but it is rather interesting, especially the echo.
However, I must find away to plug it in and listen to how it sounds... I got no idea where to get a cable nor i know which of the 3 pins is the ground pin..
The echo is a tape echo and thus has all the problems of a tape echo. You'll need to splice tape loops together, also, tape degrades. I'm an analog kinda guy but I'd be hard pressed to find tape these days, no one uses audio tape anymore. If I had to maintain an old tape echo I'd go for an old tube Echoplex.

Which lug is ground? I'd have to dig my Meazzi out, mine is buried in storage. Then I'll have to crack it open and look. You could just open the one you're lookin' at. Vendors sometimes look at me funny when I pull out a screwdriver and take something they're selling apart, I usually ask 'em whether they want to sell it or not.

As a bargaining point: If you can't plug it in assume it doesn't work. If it doesn't work it should be cheap. If it doesn't work and it's not cheap I probably don't want it.
Guy G

Post by Guy G »

CaseyJones wrote: As a bargaining point: If you can't plug it in assume it doesn't work. If it doesn't work it should be cheap. If it doesn't work and it's not cheap I probably don't want it.
Yea, that's what i was thinking..