Help pricing NOS tubes.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bill Moore

Help pricing NOS tubes.

Post by Bill Moore »

I recently worked on a customers vehicle, and we started talking about tube amplifiers, and he told me he had some tubes, so I gave him a list for my Twin project. He brought me 2 12AT7 short black plate RCA, 1 12AX7A short grey plate RCA, 1 12AX7A long grey plate Sylvania, 1 12AX7 long grey plate RCA, and 1 12AX7 long grey plate with no name (there's some red residue on the tube but no box). What should I pay him to be fair? Thanks for the help, Bill.
Kregg

Re: Help pricing NOS tubes.

Post by Kregg »

As they say, "one man's junk ..." ask him what he'll take for them cash or trade.

The street retail value for the those is probably between 200 to 300 dollars. A hundred dollars would be more than fair if they were only collecting dust. However, I'd test them first.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Kregg, thanks for the help, I'll offer him a hundred, and see I he'll accept. He's 86 years old, and probably was into hobby electronics,(radio and TV), before most of us were born. Thanks again, Bill
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Worth about $50 in box. $75 if your feeling generous. Used, even less....really. Check ebay.
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

You didn't mention if there NOS/NIB or just RFE ( Removed from Equipment) Tubes. 12At7's go for $5.00 -15 each whereas
12AX7's go for USA Made $10.00- 25.00 USA Made, European
Telefunken NOS $75.00 each So to be fair the lot $50-$75.00
depending on RFE or NIB.

Steve @ Apex Jr
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

Actually ... you might read the topic title ... :roll:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
tejastubes

NOS tube prices

Post by tejastubes »

Well, as a tube dealer I thought I would chime in here and discuss what determines the value.

The price of the tube, in my opinion, is determined by not only the make and condition in its in, but also by the level of testing, and service which comes along with that tube so the end user is confident that it will work in his circuit. Thus, noise testing, gain matching, microphonics screening, and gm testing on calibrated high quality test equipment (sorry, your buddy's "calibrated" TV-7 doesn't meet this criteria) from someone you can trust to stand behind what they sell also commands a greater value in my book.

So everyone here can chime in on what they "think" the value of a tube is, but what level of screening, and service comes with the tube?

Given the context of the thread as described in the intial post, here is what I say

new or used? Microphonic or not?

2 12AT7 short black plate RCA: I sell them new $15-$35 and I don't buy used ones,

1 12AX7A short grey plate RCA these sell for $90 each low noise screened in original boxes and approx $50 used,

1 12AX7A long grey plate Sylvania used $40, new $60,

1 12AX7 long grey plate RCA $50 used, and

1 12AX7 long grey plate with no name I would have to see it (there's some red residue on the tube but no box)

So if these passed my tests on the calibrated computer controlled Hickok 118B ($2200) and the noise and microphonics screening on the VTV tube characterizer ($1000) then this is the price points where I would sell.

I just received an amp from a guy who boiught some REALLY expensive 6v6gt tubes from a tube dealer in NJ . The guy who sent me the amp used the tubes appro 3 hrs per week for 8 months. (total 96 hours). He was sold these tubes as NOS NIB, and they were so heavily used it was a joke, and the gm was all over the place. I cranked up the amp and after 5 minutes one of the tubes went out and blew a fuse on the amp. So I tested the three remaining tubes to check for current draw and the three remaing were very low drawing tubes which just don't have the juice and vibrancy of stronger drawing power output tubes (yes it makes a difference!).

So buy some tubes on eBay from any joker with a "calibrated" TV-7, and you get what you get. Maybe you will score, most likely you won't.

If quality, service, and honesty are important, then call me and I will help you find the tubes which will make your amp sing.

My .02 cents worth.
Joshua Syna
Tejas Tubes LLC
(713)471-5408
www.tejastubes.com
mark enger

Post by mark enger »

hey tejastubes, i came across some odd power tubes 6878 a pair and a quad of 7591. any value? i havent tested yet but there working pulls i dont think ill build with them , i heard g0od things about both i also found over 20 12ax7a some branded wurlitzer some lowery , but there was a great looking pair of yugosavia national brand 12ax7a i put in my 18 watt and made a drastic inprovemnt in tone you know about these tubes if they test well i may sell the power tubes? not the preamp tubes hard and exspensive to get they were free. ill keep them. what are they worth mark"menger"enger
tejastubes

Post by tejastubes »

mark enger wrote:hey tejastubes, i came across some odd power tubes 6878 a pair and a quad of 7591. any value? i havent tested yet but there working pulls i dont think ill build with them , i heard g0od things about both i also found over 20 12ax7a some branded wurlitzer some lowery , but there was a great looking pair of yugosavia national brand 12ax7a i put in my 18 watt and made a drastic inprovemnt in tone you know about these tubes if they test well i may sell the power tubes? not the preamp tubes hard and exspensive to get they were free. ill keep them. what are they worth mark"menger"enger
Again depends on where they test, brand if they are matched etc etc. You can check our website for our tube buying policies.

Joshua
Joshua Syna
Tejas Tubes LLC
(713)471-5408
www.tejastubes.com