Rectifier Arc, Bad tube?? help

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Macshaft

Rectifier Arc, Bad tube?? help

Post by Macshaft »

Fired up my 2 hole rocket with no tubes and checked out voltages @ 122.5vac into a Hammond 370FX 275/0/275 150mA. - heater voltage 7vac Rectifier 5vac was 5.4vac - primary was 280vac to grnd. on both taps .after installing my start up tubes and powering it back up , 20 -30 seconds later it takes out the fuse (3a). No smoke , and nothing is hot . I had used an old fuse holder on this build so I suspected that . No , a second fuse and powered up again revealed the 5AR4 was arcing over . Is this just a bad tube ??? 280vac??
Macshaft:)
UR12

Re: Rectifier Arc, Bad tube?? help

Post by UR12 »

It is very possible to get a bad rectifier right out of the box and that is the way it usually manifests itself. I have had really bad luck with Sovtek 5ar4s. I tried 2 brand new ones in my Rocket build (I only owned two). One lasted about an hour and the other started arcing as soon as I installed it and flipped the standby switch. I threw in a NOS GE and it has worked great ever since. I now buy JJs
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wow, I pretty much use nothing but Sovtek 5AR4 and some GT with no problems but like you said Dana it can happen.

Mark
Richie

Post by Richie »

got 2 "NEW" valve arts gz34s bad out of the box for a 36 watter. looked like chinese 5ar4s.. I have better luck using the JJ myself for the current made tubes..but the NOS ones are really the best.
Macshaft

Bad 5AR4

Post by Macshaft »

Hey thanks guys :) , I`ll try the one out of my first Rocket(Ellen Rachel) . That one is a JJ as well . Both bought from a local guy , maybe he`ll give me another one . Did not think a wiring issue would do that , and the PT voltages measured were within a few volts of the other Rocket . I think a 5AR4 is good for 550vac a side?? .

Thanx again , gotta fire up before the kids go to bed

Cam :D
Macshaft

Maybe some thing else

Post by Macshaft »

:shock: 5AR4 outa my other Rocket does the same thing in this amp . about twenty seconds or so after power up , tube arcs and takes out the fuse .Even before the standby switch is turned on . I used an 80uF Mallory TC-80 in the first tank . The other Rocket Has 2 - 40uF in this spot . Could I have a bad Cap ?? :?:
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Since it fires up with no tubes installed then you might want to try a different set of tubes. 20 seconds is about the time it takes for output tubes to come up to temp and start drawing current. Sounds like something is shorting out.
Macshaft

Post by Macshaft »

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it fires up with no tubes installed then you might want to try a different set of tubes. 20 seconds is about the time it takes for output tubes to come up to temp and start drawing current. Sounds like something is shorting out.

I have not fliped the standby yet , so the only thing powered up is the first P.S. cap(80uF) . gotta be the cap , socket termination is good , no loose strands . I don`t have a meter that will measure this large cap . Maybe I will try a different cap . I have some 68uF`s i can try .Warm up time would apply to the 5AR4 as well I guess?? :shock:
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

Technically, an 80uf cap is too big for a 5AR4 to see right out of the gate. Usually, this sort of thing is not a problem, but you never know - I'd try a 40uf cap, or smaller, just for troubleshooting purposes.
Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

...in other words: rock and roll!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Plus one, the 5AR4 has a max first filter value of 60uf.

That may or may not cause issues since you are only over spec a bit.

But it will be harder on the tube.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Macshaft

5AR4 arcing

Post by Macshaft »

Plus one, the 5AR4 has a max first filter value of 60uf.

That may or may not cause issues since you are only over spec a bit.

Did not get enough time to check unloaded DC voltage on the first cap .
A.C. to the 5Ar4 is 560vac or 280vac a side . Maybe I am over the Mallory spec of 450vdc.?? and the cap is shorting ?? :cry:
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

I think you should be alright with a 450 volt cap with those kinds of voltages.
Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

...in other words: rock and roll!
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

The size of that cap might be the issue. It'll make a current spike that exceeds
the peak rating on the rectifier plate. Ive seen plenty of shorts, and they
dont usually take out the rectifier.
lazymaryamps
Macshaft

My Bad Rectifier dummy

Post by Macshaft »

:oops: :oops: I guess there is no need to ground the center tap on the 5vac , otherwise it makes the Rectifier tube make big arc across plates (ouch) . Stupid newbie mistake . aarrrgghhh!!!
:roll: :oops:
Structo

Post by Structo »

The 5v tap has a center tap? :shock:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!