Two amps not working this week

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Two amps not working this week

Post by M Fowler »

Well first my Egnator Rebel went to crap started smoking. Now I have to get ahold of Bruce and see how to get this thing fixed.

I had ordered the new Bugera 1960 and it arrived by UPS and right away the driver is saying wow this box is beat up? I took the amp out and it looked good so read the instructions on how to operate a tube amp. :)

Then hooked it up to a working, 8 ohm load speaker. Turn the power on waited turned the standby off and nothing. Peeked through the mesh and 4 power tubes were glowing. Peeked at the preamp tubes and only one of the three was lite. Noticed white crap on the top of the second tube so vacuum seal is out on that tube.

Emailed the sender AmericanMusicalSupply.com and no response to whether to replace the tubes or send it back. I hate warranty crap and shipping it sucks. I did tell them I can replace and try new preamp tubes and they can send me three new ones as I don't trust that the 3rd one is much better after the obvious fall the amp took based on the box.

So If I open the mesh up and replace tubes does that void the warranty so far no reply.

Mark
Phil_S

Re: Two amps not working this week

Post by Phil_S »

I think the real questions are:
1) Will they know if you open it up?
2) Can you open it without it being obvious that you did it, i.e., is there a seal?
3) You will know you opened it. Can you live with that?

You could wait. Maybe they will reply before the waranty expires?

Sorry for your bad luck. I hope you'll get it worked out. Contact UPS right away to start your claim. They are slower than molasses in the fridge.

BTW, now do you know how to operate a tube amp? :roll:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks Phil S.

I hate warranty did I already say that. :evil:

I am about ready to head that way and put those tubes in, this pisses me off.

Read the instructions, the warranty info and Bugera online warranty registration info.

I even read the setting the bias instructions I am now qualified to open the amp up. :lol:

Mark
Cygnus X1

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Bugera???

Oh, my.

Do tell!

(Why)?
drew

Post by drew »

Hey, you know, Mark only manages to build around 11 or 12 amps a month, so he has to supplement his supply with some store-bought ones.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

After managing to get the broken V2 ECC83 out and also replaced V3 as well. The thing is loud as hell. Channel I high/low very trebly and channel II high/low is dark and you can jumper the two channels together.

To get distortion out of this amp your going to need a pedal. There is a hiss on channel I and less on II. The presence works well but does add more hiss. Tomorrow after work it will get the full try out when no one is around. I will try with different cables and guitars to be sure the hiss isn't my cords, guitars or lighting circuit.

I would have to say down the road when the pots break off, they are very flimsy, this will make a good donor amp. The cab, chassis and transformers look to be very well made. I am quite sure it is PCB base and very hard to get the preamp tubes out of the low set sockets. I had to use rubber around the tube to get it to budge. The EL34 are right in the back and are chassis mounted with clam shells.

The price was right is why I got it and I will give it a try as I like loud clean power house amps using pedal rack.

Final mojo: like the mag reviews says, buy if you want clean loud undistorted sound on a budget. Forget if you are the kind of guy on Ampgarage that can build your own a heck of lot better. :)

Chassis photos will be next I would imagine.

Mark
Jana

Post by Jana »

Well first my Egnator Rebel went to crap started smoking.
You can always try Nicorette gum or the patch, it never worked for me, but who knows.
Kregg

Post by Kregg »

I like the threat that manufactures use, "Opening Product Will Void Warrenty." :twisted:

Fo Shizzle ... whom do they think they're kidding!?
Is there a hair or a thread placed delicately on one of the screws?
Do they dust for prints then run them against an Interpol or FBI database?
If they really wanted to keep you away from the inside, they'd use rivets instead of screws.
Besides, I've never been asked if I opened a product, had I been asked I'd say, "hell no!"
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." Hilmar von Campe
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized.
You are a true believer, blessings of the state, blessings of the masses.
Thou art a subject of the divine, created in the image of man,
By the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill.
Work hard , increase production, prevent accidents, and be happy.

(consumer behavior 101, your not being a very good consumer)

Let us be thankful we have commerce, buy more.
Buy more now, buy more and be happy...........
lazymaryamps
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jana,

I'll ween that Rebel off slowly you know how cranky smokers get.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Is the bias adjustment accessible on the exterior of the Bugera?
If not, how are you supposed to adjust it without opening the chassis?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes the bias point is on the back but the warranty says only Bugera authorized service centers. :(

No answer from the sender about replacing my tubes yet either. They are a good company and I have a long history with them so I should go smooth. :roll:

Mark
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

Kregg wrote:I like the threat that manufactures use, "Opening Product Will Void Warrenty." :twisted:

Fo Shizzle ... whom do they think they're kidding!?
Is there a hair or a thread placed delicately on one of the screws?
Do they dust for prints then run them against an Interpol or FBI database?
If they really wanted to keep you away from the inside, they'd use rivets instead of screws.
Besides, I've never been asked if I opened a product, had I been asked I'd say, "hell no!"
Some manufactures, not necessarily amp manufacturers, might place some sort of seal over chassis screws, or the old "Do Not Remove" sticker placed over a strategic screw that is recessed. If you are building a product everyday, you know when someone has been inside of one. I ran a repair department for an actuator company, and I had a saying whenever the customer had attempted to fix it themselves, "You played with it, didn't ya." It was usually pretty obvious. Safe to say Mark is probably a qualified tech. question is will Bugera see it that way.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Kregg wrote:I like the threat that manufactures use, "Opening Product Will Void Warrenty."
It's more likely that's to cover their butt rather than yours! Anything to limit their liability.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, they just don't want you poking a screwdriver around inside touching 400+ volts.

I agree, it's just to protect themselves from liability.

I have a question for the small company amp builders here.

Do you have to have your amps UL approved since they are powered by house current?

I know a lot of guys get around that with smaller devices by using wall warts or DC power, but I was just wonder how guys like Brown Note, Bludotone, RedPlate Amps, etc. work this?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!