The Vishay Dale itty bitty 1 watt metal film surprise.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

collinsamps

The Vishay Dale itty bitty 1 watt metal film surprise.

Post by collinsamps »

Just an FYI for those that use vishay dale 1 watt metal films.

I hadn't ordered from mouser in sometime and needed to restock the resistor bin, so I jumped online and pulled from my old orders(same part numbers) for 20 values of Vishay Dale 1 watt metal films.

Their shipping being amazing they were on my doorstep the next day, and all the size in what you would expect a 1/4 watt resistor body to be. Not to mention shorter leads that don't reach across most turret/eyelet boards.

After a few phone calls I learned that they are in fact 1 watt resistors in Vishays new packaging.

So if you want full size 1 watt resistors with long leads do your homework on the search. I really can't use these things anywhere other than input jacks with 1M & 68K which actually fit better than the large ones.

Interesting that they keep the Huge atom axial electrolytics with smaller ones inside, but shrink their axial resistors to nano level if they can.
Colossal

Re: The Vishay Dale itty bitty 1 watt metal film surprise.

Post by Colossal »

collinsamps wrote:Just an FYI for those that use vishay dale 1 watt metal films...all the size in what you would expect a 1/4 watt resistor body to be. Not to mention shorter leads that don't reach across most turret/eyelet boards.

After a few phone calls I learned that they are in fact 1 watt resistors in Vishays new packaging.

So if you want full size 1 watt resistors with long leads do your homework on the search.
Thanks for the heads up! I was just about to order some. Did you get RN65s? Flameproofs? I can't recall if the RN65s are 1/2 or 1W.
collinsamps

Post by collinsamps »

No these are the standard 5% metal films. Here are a few scans with some old 1/2 watts for a size for comparison. PT#'s on the bag if interested in avoiding them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FYL

Post by FYL »

Ahem. They're not Vishay Dale. They are the classic - and excellent - Phoenix/Beyschlag/... PR01 metal film resistors, now sold under the Vishay/BCcomponents umbrella.

Standard length is 52 mm but they also exist in 63 mm on a special order basis.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28729/28729.pdf
DonMoose

Post by DonMoose »

Off the top of your head, do you know the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) for the longer leads?

It looks like 500 with the AC packaging code (bandolier in ammopack straight leads 63mm), but there may be a required multiple.
solderstain

Post by solderstain »

Funny - I just had exactly the same experience last week - ordered a big bunch-o-stuff from Mouser to restock the parts bins. In the order were various values in 1 watt and 2 watt ratings - same Vishays as the OP. I was floored when I saw how small they are.

On the up-side, it says good things about the state of manufacturing and materials these days.
collinsamps

Post by collinsamps »

FYL wrote:
Ahem. They're not Vishay Dale. They are the classic - and excellent - Phoenix/Beyschlag/... PR01 metal film resistors, now sold under the Vishay/BCcomponents umbrella.

Standard length is 52 mm but they also exist in 63 mm on a special order basis.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28729/28729.pdf

So I used the word Dale............sue me
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

So I used the word Dale............sue me
What's with the attitude? I thought that was a fair clarification by FYL. Perhaps you forgot the little smiley face at the end?
-Kevin
collinsamps

Post by collinsamps »

Why does everyone sense an attitude on here from a simple written word?

Where's the attitude meter? Mine is fine on this end. I thought the "Ahem" and all was quite a great way to not sound like a smart ass while giving me the facts when I was simply trying to tell others about a NEW product. No more of that for me, here at least. Or is that an attitude as well? Touchy touchy touchy.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Craig I was wondering when people were going to catch on to your humor :)

All is well. I am enjoying the lesson on resistors myself as I haven't tried these babies yet.

Mark
collinsamps

Post by collinsamps »

Thanks Mark, my goal wasn't to start a "name that resistor game" but to let people know that old part numbers are not the same anymore. That is all........and it's done. And we all now know the new origin of the little B@stards.

I'm a great communicator in person, but I guess my written word lacks a certain finesse eh?

Life goes on. :D <-----------smiley face intended.
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

Apologies for the misinterpretation. Perhaps my attitude meter needs calibrating :D. I thought that clarifying the exact type of resistor in this thread was helpful, not playing the "name that resistor game". I appreciate you giving us the heads up and I think the additional information from FYL makes this thread more helpful and doesn't take away from your original point or criticize you. Perhaps some day I'll have the opportunity to speak with you in person and I'll understand your sense of humor better. Thank you for the smiley face.
Kevin
FYL

Post by FYL »

Off the top of your head, do you know the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) for the longer leads?
I would say 5K or 10K.

BC used to offer 52 and 73 mm as standard, with 63 and 80 mm on a special order basis. Cf. the attached pic and 2001 BC datasheet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Bruce,
Maybe it's a long shot...I don't know what quantity you order, and even so, compared to a manufacturing operation, you are probably small potatoes for Mouser. You still might be considered a "valued" customer.

Have you called them to explain that you have been a long time customer and relied on the consistency of their part numbering to get exactly the item you need? They've made a switch and due to the shorter lead length, you can't use them.

Maybe, just one time, they will make a courtesy exchange for you. You never can tell. Even big companies will sometimes service a customer because it's "what they do". You have little to lose except the time you invest in a phone call, or maybe email to the customer service department.

I think we'd be interested in knowing what kind of service Mouser is willing to provide on this.

BTW, I thought your self-deprecating humor "ahem" was more than clear enough...without sound and body language, unfortunately, this sort of nuance is sometimes lost to the reader.

Regards,
Phil
jjman

Post by jjman »

Not that Radio Shack is a good source but I noticed they now stock 1/8watt resistors instead of 1/4watt resistors. Imagine the huge savings they are getting on these. :x
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.