switchraft switching jack failures

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: switchraft switching jack failures

Post by Colossal »

Firestorm wrote:
Gaz wrote:What he was very pissed about was the fake Cliff jacks, however.
I'll bet. Some of the fakes even say "CLIFF" on them.
Yes they do. These Chinese POS knock-offs were being sold by the major DIY suppliers and CLIFF was/is working to stop it completely. Unfortunately, the consumer buys them thinking they've got a real CLIFF UK, has problems and then the jacks get a bad rap.

See here: http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/jacks ... ockets.pdf
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It IS about the plating, and once that is sanded off it IS about the crappy oxidizing tin they use in China to make garbage.

Welcome to the dark ages!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
NickC

Post by NickC »

Thanks for that link Dave.

Darn it! I have been suckered! I have a bunch of fakes, purchased from US based, supposedly "reputable" online vendors (the same ones I expect most folks here deal with). Worse, they are already installed in amps.

What a disappointment this is.

Anyone know of reliable US based source for REAL Cliff jacks?

Colossal wrote:
Firestorm wrote:
Gaz wrote:What he was very pissed about was the fake Cliff jacks, however.
I'll bet. Some of the fakes even say "CLIFF" on them.
Yes they do. These Chinese POS knock-offs were being sold by the major DIY suppliers and CLIFF was/is working to stop it completely. Unfortunately, the consumer buys them thinking they've got a real CLIFF UK, has problems and then the jacks get a bad rap.

See here: http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/jacks ... ockets.pdf
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

NickC wrote:Thanks for that link Dave.

Darn it! I have been suckered! I have a bunch of fakes, purchased from US based, supposedly "reputable" online vendors (the same ones I expect most folks here deal with). Worse, they are already installed in amps.

What a disappointment this is.

Anyone know of reliable US based source for REAL Cliff jacks?
Yeah, it sucks to be suckered! I think our companies should do more diligence to ensure that the products they represent and sell are not cheap knockoffs.

Here is a US source: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CL1298A&t=1
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I was getting fake Cliff jacks from all the various amp suppliers until colossal set me straight.

Now I have a few drawers of Cliff UK and they are definitely superior.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

I wonder if Switchcraft is using a different alloy in their leaf switches?

They don't seem as springy as they used to be and when you bend them they don't seem to stay, sort of like it is a milder steel.

Too bad because you could always depend on those jacks........
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
David Root

Post by David Root »

After some intermittentcy (sp?) problems with Switchcraft shorting jacks, especially in Send/Return jacks which need tight contact between the positive and shorting pins when not plugged in, last year I switched to the Mil-Spec C12AX, made in USA and has silver plated stud contacts on BOTH pins. No more problems.

Yes they cost twice as much but they are still cheaper than NOS '60s jacks, which are just as good in this respect.

Between "BS" ROHS specs and "CC" Chinese manufacture (Chinese Cheap) the standard Switchcraft are worthless in a pro level amp and I won't use 'em any more.

BTW I never managed to get any luck futzing with the pins to make better contact. Could NOT do it.
husky

Post by husky »

Milkmansound wrote:I have been experiencing a high failure rate with these type of jacks lately:

http://www.allparts.com/Jacks-s/22.htm

specifically that the switch is opening up, and letting a boatload of noise into the first tube stage when the amp is sitting there idle, minding its own business.

Anyone else seen this recently? I am no longer going to use them for inputs in my amps. Its sad, because I am the proud owner of a few dozen jacks.
I've had that problem with the 12A style since the early 90's
Folded sandpaper (800 grit) stuck between the normal close and pulled out usually fixes it. Also the ground sleeve comes loose sometimes, not crimped very well
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

martin manning wrote:
Firestorm wrote:Anyone have experience with this type of Switchcraft jack?

I seem to have quite a few of these. They might even be the Mil. version.
I've used them in a few pedals for the slightly smaller envelope that they have as compared to the standard open type. They are open at the back (not sealed in any way), and seemed to work fine. I've not had any issues with the standard open ones either. (Probably shouldn't have said that...) The Mil Spec open jacks have silver contacts, I believe, and cost 2-3x as much.
I've also used the plastic square body jacks in pedals.
That was long enough ago that I don't doubt that the raw materials sourcing and manufacturing quality has deteriorated on those as well.
I pretty much always source Switchcraft brand thinking that's the best way to insure a bit of quality control, but apparently that thinking is in error (?)

In answer to the thread's question, I can't point to any specific problems, but I do have a few recent Fender rebuilds that use 12A's.
Fingers are crossed.

reddog
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

We are probably ready for a new jack design. When you think about it, using a flat piece of metal (on the jack) to maintain constant contact with a round piece of metal (the plug) in inherently flawed. I'm not talking about the switches but the actual signal connection. Except for the tradition of instruments, most every other connection in signal transfer has been replaced with mated parts -- usually with locking connectors too. sh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Firestorm wrote:Anyone have experience with this type of Switchcraft jack?

I seem to have quite a few of these. They might even be the Mil. version.
I use those types in pedals also but they seem to hold up. Mammoth Electronics sells good ones. I once got a batch of Chinese knockoffs at a local electronics store though. You have to watch out on any type. Look at them closely and if you can see that the metal is bumpy, it is probably the cheap molded stuff instead of quality material. My one batch was so bad as soon as I barely tightened it on, the innards of the jack started spinning around.
---------
Bryan
Structo

Post by Structo »

Luthierwnc wrote:We are probably ready for a new jack design. When you think about it, using a flat piece of metal (on the jack) to maintain constant contact with a round piece of metal (the plug) in inherently flawed. I'm not talking about the switches but the actual signal connection. Except for the tradition of instruments, most every other connection in signal transfer has been replaced with mated parts -- usually with locking connectors too. sh
I'm not sure if it is the reason but my thinking on this is that they have retained the old phone jack (first used on the old switch boards at the telephone company, thus the name) because they pull out easily.
So if you happen to trip over the cord you won't pull the entire amp over.

Speaker connections have started using the newer Speak On connectors which is a locking type.

But you are right, it is a very small footprint on the connection to the tip of the plug.
Tom

Prairie Dawg

Post by Prairie Dawg »

Gaz wrote:I suppose, but he really didn't make a big deal of it. What he was very pissed about was the fake Cliff jacks, however.
Oh Gawdddddddd, not this again. :roll:
If you believe in coincidence you're not looking close enough-Joe leaphorn
Structo

Post by Structo »

The Cliff site has some stuff about the fake jacks and how to spot them.

http://www.cliffinc.com/news/news20100611.htm

And the court ruling about it.
It's confusing because apparently there is a company that is called CLIFF USA that is not affiliated with CLIFF UK.

The United States company is called CLIFF INC.

http://www.cliffinc.com/lawsuit/index.htm
Tom

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Luthierwnc wrote:We are probably ready for a new jack design.
Dood, is that actually a picture of THEE Ma Bell?!

Holy crap!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.