6G6-B Bassman & Express sound clips

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: 6G6-B Bassman & Express sound clips

Post by Colossal »

LarryLarry wrote:6G6-B with GZ34 rectifier ala 6G6, no pedals, bass channel, volume at about 6, treble about 6, bass about 3. Celestion Mesa MC-90 1x12.
Sounds great! I love the clarity

Have you tried pushing it with an overdrive pedal into even harder territory? I'd understand if you haven't and it's not your cup of tea. I'm always looking for something that will get me into Allan Holdsworth fusion/modern progressive metal territory without being sounding like a chainsaw going through tempered glass.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Colossal wrote:
LarryLarry wrote:6G6-B with GZ34 rectifier ala 6G6, no pedals, bass channel, volume at about 6, treble about 6, bass about 3. Celestion Mesa MC-90 1x12.
Sounds great! I love the clarity

Have you tried pushing it with an overdrive pedal into even harder territory? I'd understand if you haven't and it's not your cup of tea. I'm always looking for something that will get me into Allan Holdsworth fusion/modern progressive metal territory without being sounding like a chainsaw going through tempered glass.
Big muff/showman? I dunno but that's kinda the Gilmour territory.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

Oh yeah, I use a couple different OD pedals for solo boosts. Just didnt' want to alter the impression of the amp for y'all.

I use an MXR micro amp and a Boss SD-2 dual overdrive. The micro amp is a pretty 'clean' type boost with full freq range. The SD-2 is a cross between an OD and a distortion, but I don't turn up the drive (distortion) much, just the level.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

David Gilmour is a great example of a super clean, high headroom pedal platform user. Nobody can argue with his tone. Mark Fowler told me that back in the day some of his greatest tones came from a huge clean amp/pedal setup. I'm beginning to think seriously about going this direction.
LarryLarry wrote:Oh yeah, I use a couple different OD pedals for solo boosts. Just didnt' want to alter the impression of the amp for y'all.

I use an MXR micro amp and a Boss SD-2 dual overdrive. The micro amp is a pretty 'clean' type boost with full freq range. The SD-2 is a cross between an OD and a distortion, but I don't turn up the drive (distortion) much, just the level.
Cool Larry! The Microamp is a great pedal. When you are playing you 6G6, do you primarily set it for clean(ish) tone and then push it hard with a clean boost? What kind of tones do you personally shoot for? Straight up rock?
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

Pretty much straight ahead rock (Bad Company, Journey, Zeppelin..) most of the time so I do have the amp dirty enough for rhythms, rolling back the guitar volume for cleaner stuff. Then step on a pedal for solos.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Ah ok, very good. That amp sounds great. I have been getting into Fender amps more and I love the clarity. I am always after an intense grind (while maintaining separation) that is just a bit more on the modern/timeless side but without sounding like the homogenized diarrhea that passes for rock tone these days (e.g. Nickelback et al). I've always used output tube distortion but of course, like everyone else experiences and fights with, the penalty can be excessive volume.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Colossal wrote:
David Gilmour is a great example of a super clean, high headroom pedal platform user. Nobody can argue with his tone. Mark Fowler told me that back in the day some of his greatest tones came from a huge clean amp/pedal setup. I'm beginning to think seriously about going this direction.
I'm kinda drifting that way too. I have a couple of Mark's HiWatt chassis here. I've got a Big Muff and chorus and delay. I've not built anything for several years for a variety of reasons but in the mean time I've become kinda obsessed with Gilmour's tone. We'll see. Someplace around here I've got a schematic of his pedal set up from back in the day. Big Muff, delay, chorus, MXR phase shifter, reverb in various combinations. Pete Cornish custom stuff. Now if a guy could clone his hands....

Anyway, he for sure used Alembic (Fender 763 clone) pre amps into the HiWatt power amp into big Wem cabinets stuffed with Fane crescendos. You get kicked out of any venue I know of with that rig.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

skyboltone wrote:I'm kinda drifting that way too. I have a couple of Mark's HiWatt chassis here. I've got a Big Muff and chorus and delay. I've not built anything for several years for a variety of reasons but in the mean time I've become kinda obsessed with Gilmour's tone. We'll see. Someplace around here I've got a schematic of his pedal set up from back in the day. Big Muff, delay, chorus, MXR phase shifter, reverb in various combinations. Pete Cornish custom stuff. Now if a guy could clone his hands....

Anyway, he for sure used Alembic (Fender 763 clone) pre amps into the HiWatt power amp into big Wem cabinets stuffed with Fane crescendos. You get kicked out of any venue I know of with that rig.
Not to derail the thread here but...

...yeah, Gilmour is incredible. Have you seen: http://www.gilmourish.com/

Great site that is constantly evolving (always for the better) and a comprehensive, one-stop shopping site for all things Gilmour!

/derail, but partially on topic:

One of my absolute favorite tones of all time was the sounds Alex Lifeson got on Moving Pictures. He had a pair of 100W Hiwatts (no doubt influenced by Pete Townshend) and a pair of Marshall 4140s combos. He used an MXR microamp, a MXR distortion and a few other pedals. But the one thing I never have been able to find out is whether the dirty sounds on that album came from pushing the Marshalls or if it was the Hiwatts being pushed with pedals. I know all the guitars were multi-tracked and Marshalls were even aimed out the studio door towards the Laurentian mountains to get natural delay. But I'd really like to know if the distortion came from the Hiwatts running clean and loud with pedals in front.

/end derail, resume topic.
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

Colossal,
Justin's bassman is a modded early CBS era. Not sure off hand which circuit it is. The knob functions are mixed up and everything. That amp is mean as hell. Great rock amp. :twisted:
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

2 clips using a Tele and a Boss SD-2 for a solo boost. The SD-2 has the level about 3/4 and the Drive (distortion) about 1/3. The boost is more drastic/louder on the Express...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.