Anyone build with a Mercury Magnetics P45RS

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Anyone build with a Mercury Magnetics P45RS

Post by Reeltarded »

You made Martin guess at a thing. You are legend!

:D

Glad to see you on the right path and I would love to hear the outcome when it is done.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:31 am You made Martin guess at a thing. You are legend!

:D

Glad to see you on the right path and I would love to hear the outcome when it is done.
Lol! I still feel like Martins guess is a pretty solid truth.

I’ll start a build thread soon as I feel like my threads can always help others not make my same mistakes 😎
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Ok, next fix is the bias voltage. There isn’t a 50v tap on this PT. Can I use the 100v primary lead to feed the bias?

Or is using a 12v transformer and taping the Heater winding a better practice?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

You mean line voltage on the primary?
No, you tap off the B+ of the secondary and use suitable dropping resistors, diodes, etc.
Check out:
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/bias.html
about midway down the page.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'd add that you'll see Marshall often tapped the B+ for bias voltage. Look at schematics for examples of how they did it. Here's a typical example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Thanks Phil. the board I am building has a pad for a 50v bias feed, so I just need to get the HV dropped and run in at around 50v. the board will handle reversing the voltage for me.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Just got this emailed from MM -
P45RS (current).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Pretty much confirms what you determined above. On the bias supply, I see you are using a PCB. If the bias supply is somewhere on that, or on another board, you'll have to determine what that looks like and adapt it to using the high voltage secondary as the AC source.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

martin manning wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:02 pm Pretty much confirms what you determined above. On the bias supply, I see you are using a PCB. If the bias supply is somewhere on that, or on another board, you'll have to determine what that looks like and adapt it to using the high voltage secondary as the AC source.
YEp and I'm glad I didn't get the diagram the first time I asked. i needed to lean how to identify on my own.....or at least via solid advice and expertise.