jmp 50watt with magnetic components transformer set

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dukeamps

jmp 50watt with magnetic components transformer set

Post by dukeamps »

Hi, So curiosity got the better of me, and i ordered a set of transfomers from magnetic components. I built a jmp 50watt, and its true that the pt can get quite warm, but i don't think there is anything to worry about. I also decided to go with mallory-150 caps this time, and also done the one wire mod, and a mv. I have made a couple of quick demos for anyone who is interested. The tubes i have used are v1 rft v2 tungsram v3 rft & rft el34s.

[IMG:800:533]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz23 ... 1Front.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:533]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz23 ... 02Back.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:533]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz23 ... 3gutts.jpg[/img]

Demos

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1032010

Dukeamps :)
Last edited by dukeamps on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbryerton

Re: jmp 50watt with magnetic components transformer set

Post by rbryerton »

Nice build! So how do you like the transformers? I've used many Mag. trannys in the last few months, and I think they're great. Nice construction, sound, and you can't beat the price.

I put together a 50w 2204 clone using the same transformer set, and it sounds just great. Couldn't be happier w/the results.
Rob
Axeplyr

Post by Axeplyr »

Wow what a timely post! I'm getting ready to build the same amp into an oversized 1x12 cab loaded with a Scumback! It's great to get your take on the transformers before I take the plunge.

Did you just use their transformers, or their whole kit? I'm considering the entire kit.
dukeamps

jmp 50watt with magnetic components transfomer set

Post by dukeamps »

rbryerton wrote:Nice build! So how do you like the transformers? I've used many Mag. trannys in the last few months, and I think they're great. Nice construction, sound, and you can't beat the price.

I put together a 50w 2204 clone using the same transformer set, and it sounds just great. Couldn't be happier w/the results.
Hi, I have used marstran heyboer & hammond, and i think they are right up there with the best of them. Like i said in my first post i also used mallory-150 caps and find them every bit as good as sozo. The sozo caps sound to me a bit icepicky, whereas the mallorys sound nice and warm, but also have that mid sound we all want. :D The price is absolutely fantastic. Just hope they hold out.

Dukeamps
dukeamps

jmp 50watt with magnetic components transfomer set

Post by dukeamps »

Axeplyr wrote:Wow what a timely post! I'm getting ready to build the same amp into an oversized 1x12 cab loaded with a Scumback! It's great to get your take on the transformers before I take the plunge.

Did you just use their transformers, or their whole kit? I'm considering the entire kit.
Hi, The transfomers are good, i was quite surprised in a good way. No i didn't use a kit, but kits are ok, all depends on whose. :lol: Me personally I like to buy everything separate, so i can choose what parts i want to use.

Thanks. :)

Dukeamps
Structo

Post by Structo »

I am surprised that more guys here don't build many Marshall amps.
I suppose the Express covers that spectrum pretty good.

Those transformers certainly look beefy enough to handle a 50w amp.

Good looking build and it sounds great!

Did you use the Metro layouts?

Are all the Mallory 150's white now?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

Im just built a 50 watt hi gain amp with those myself. My take is PT and choke are fine. OT is ok, but i tried my hammond and heyboer on it and i think both are a bit better to my ear. But for now i'm leaving it because theres not enough difference to really matter. Later i may replace it with the heyboer or a marstran or metro, but i'm not sure yet. So far i haven't found huge differences between OT's. Enough to prefer one over the other, but not enough to really worry about it. As to the PT, i haven't played the amp loud for any length of time, but so far the PT has never gotten even warm to the touch.
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

Structo wrote:I am surprised that more guys here don't build many Marshall amps.
I suppose the Express covers that spectrum pretty good.

Those transformers certainly look beefy enough to handle a 50w amp.

Good looking build and it sounds great!

Did you use the Metro layouts?

Are all the Mallory 150's white now?
Hi, The layout is more or less a metro layout.
Yes i was also surprised that the caps are white now.

Dukeamps
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

iknowjohnny wrote:Im just built a 50 watt hi gain amp with those myself. My take is PT and choke are fine. OT is ok, but i tried my hammond and heyboer on it and i think both are a bit better to my ear. But for now i'm leaving it because theres not enough difference to really matter. Later i may replace it with the heyboer or a marstran or metro, but i'm not sure yet. So far i haven't found huge differences between OT's. Enough to prefer one over the other, but not enough to really worry about it. As to the PT, i haven't played the amp loud for any length of time, but so far the PT has never gotten even warm to the touch.
Hi, I have also a 50watt with hammond pt ot & choke, And the magnetic components sounds just as good. As to the heat my hammond also gets warm. I have been using that amp for about a year now with no problems.

Dukeamps
Axeplyr

Re: jmp 50watt with magnetic components transfomer set

Post by Axeplyr »

dukeamps wrote:
Axeplyr wrote:Wow what a timely post! I'm getting ready to build the same amp into an oversized 1x12 cab loaded with a Scumback! It's great to get your take on the transformers before I take the plunge.

Hi, The transfomers are good, i was quite surprised in a good way. No i didn't use a kit, but kits are ok, all depends on whose. :lol: Me personally I like to buy everything separate, so i can choose what parts i want to use.

Dukeamps

Here's the kit I am referring to...

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/1987marshkit.html
dukeamps

Re: jmp 50watt with magnetic components transfomer set

Post by dukeamps »

Axeplyr wrote:
dukeamps wrote:

Dukeamps

Here's the kit I am referring to...

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/1987marshkit.html
Hi, That kit looks ok, the only thing i can see wrong is the turret board, its not like the original, but it should work ok. :)

Dukeamps
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The only thing I didn't like about the triodstores Marshall kit was the board but I got it to work anyway. A standard Marshall board would be easier but not necesary.

I like the Magnetic Components trannies no problems. The kit comes with beldon sockets and good components. Mine was 2204 not this new kit they just came out with.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

A guy I know is currently building a Triode 18w kit.

He bought his chassis from Mojo.

His parts appear to be all good quality.

Duke, did you use the Lar Mar MV?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dukeamps

Post by dukeamps »

Structo wrote:A guy I know is currently building a Triode 18w kit.

He bought his chassis from Mojo.

His parts appear to be all good quality.

Duke, did you use the Lar Mar MV?
Hi, Yes.

Dukeamps
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

dukeamps wrote:
iknowjohnny wrote:Im just built a 50 watt hi gain amp with those myself. My take is PT and choke are fine. OT is ok, but i tried my hammond and heyboer on it and i think both are a bit better to my ear. But for now i'm leaving it because theres not enough difference to really matter. Later i may replace it with the heyboer or a marstran or metro, but i'm not sure yet. So far i haven't found huge differences between OT's. Enough to prefer one over the other, but not enough to really worry about it. As to the PT, i haven't played the amp loud for any length of time, but so far the PT has never gotten even warm to the touch.
Hi, I have also a 50watt with hammond pt ot & choke, And the magnetic components sounds just as good. As to the heat my hammond also gets warm. I have been using that amp for about a year now with no problems.

Dukeamps
But have you tacked the others in? I have done this with the other OT's. I put a board across the chassis to set the OT on and unsoldered the OT in the amp and soldered the outboard one in real quick to get an A/B comparison not only quickly, but in the exact same amp. You can't A/B two OT's in two different amps know for sure that the diff you hear is not other contributors besides the OT. But like i said, it's not a huge difference, and i could see how it's subjective too. The hammond tho IMO was better in a less subjective way....similar, but richer and less harshness.