Stang Ray question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Stang Ray question

Post by Tdale »

I'm looking at my stang ray shematic and layout, and it seems to me that one of them is wrong. To me it looks like the layout and schematics are drawn differently.

The two 68K resistors aren't connected in the layout, but that's not the problem, it's the way the 1M resistor is wired, and how the two jacks are hooked up, that I can't figure out...

Do you agree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Re: Stang Ray question

Post by 10thTx »

Example of input jack wiring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tdale

Post by Tdale »

Is this the same as the schematic? What about the layout, does that show the same wiring as the schematic?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Tdale wrote:Is this the same as the schematic? What about the layout, does that show the same wiring as the schematic?
10thTx's layout is what you want, and this is a standard Fender input scheme. You can look at any of them from the past 50 years or so and you will see it.

The schematic you posted is in error. The top of the 1Meg should be connected to the left end of the lower 68k (the "dot" that would indicate this connection where the lines cross is missing).
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I built that amp but used a pair of 6V6 tubes instead of the EL84 quad. That amp gave a great clean tone but not much more. It was also lower in volume than any other amp I built so far. The reason is the tone control - took it out and gain and volume were back - at the expense of the very special tone the amp had with it. If you like Brad Paisley's tone then go for it but don't expect a lot of crunch from it.

BTW I rebuilt the amp into something different.

Cheers Stephan
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Darkbluemurder wrote:I built that amp but used a pair of 6V6 tubes instead of the EL84 quad. That amp gave a great clean tone but not much more. It was also lower in volume than any other amp I built so far. The reason is the tone control - took it out and gain and volume were back - at the expense of the very special tone the amp had with it. If you like Brad Paisley's tone then go for it but don't expect a lot of crunch from it.

BTW I rebuilt the amp into something different.

Cheers Stephan
The schematic and layout in circulation has some inconsistencies in them.

In Dr. Z's video, the [Stangray] is described by Paisley as a big clean Vox AC30. So yes, it is designed specifically to stay a LOT cleaner and avoid breakup until the very end when it is cranked.

"It's a great clean amp...it's not the type of amp that really gets that dirty...not designed to, it's sort of like a Vox that never really breaks up...So anyway, I've always loved this amp for the cleanness of it, it's like uh...a lot of complaints you get about Voxes, they're a loud amp, but they're not a clean loud...you gotta run'em a third of the volume to stay clean with'em, that's not the case here...trust me as I stand here...(plays riff)...that's very, very loud and it's not breaking up as much as a Vox would."

Brad uses it specifically for its clean sound and relies on the Mazerati GT, Remedy, Prescription ES, and now more recently his new-production ZWrecks to get his lead tones.
Andy Le Blanc

Post by Andy Le Blanc »

EF86 wants to see a high impedance, the mismatch causes the loss.
A simple tone, a treble bypass and or bleed will fix it. Its pretty much an
AC 15 pre on an AC 30 power side, but made to play clean....
lazymaryamps
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have the S series Stangray and that amp is quiet, lots of clean headroom, dam hard to break up and running through two blues is wonderful amp lots of chime. Recently added gold/blue speaker arrangement which I like as well.
The layout and schematic are correct.
edited 11/30/2010

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

Other than the input jack wiring, is the schematic correct ?
Heavens, an unused PI input !
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Colossal wrote: In Dr. Z's video, the [Stangray] is described by Paisley as a big clean Vox AC30. So yes, it is designed specifically to stay a LOT cleaner and avoid breakup until the very end when it is cranked.

"It's a great clean amp...it's not the type of amp that really gets that dirty...not designed too, it's sort of like a Vox that never really breaks up...So anyway, I've always loved this amp for the cleanness of it, it's like uh...a lot of complaints you get about Voxes, they're a loud amp, but they're not a clean loud...you gotta run'em a third of the volume to stay clean with'em, that's not the case here...trust me as I stand here...(plays riff)...that's very, very loud and it's not breaking up as much as a Vox would."
That matches exactly my observations except for the loudness thing. My amp probably would have been just loud enough to gig with the country rock band I play in but no way that could have been called "very, very loud". The rebuilt amp with a different circuit is much louder even when played clean. I compared the amp to youtube samples of the original and found that I hit the mark with the tone but it was definitely a quiet amp.
Colossal wrote: Brad uses it specifically for its clean sound and relies on the Mazerati GT, Remedy, Prescription ES, and now more recently his new-production ZWrecks to get his lead tones.
That concept makes sense soundwise - pair a clean amp with a very loud and dark lead amp. But you will definitely have a loudness difference problem with a Stang Ray - Mazerati GT set up. I never got to play a Prescription ES.
Colossal wrote: The schematic and layout in circulation has some inconsistencies in them.
That is correct but either one should get you in the ballpark of an original.

Cheers Stephan
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

M Fowler wrote:
The layout and schematic are not correct.

Mark
Mark,

Can you please identify the incorrect parts?

Thanks a lot, Stephan
M Fowler

Stangray

Post by M Fowler »

Stephan,

I can, I will PM you.

And who named that schematic Stank-Ray this amp is far from being anything close to stanky. :evil:

The Stangray is one of Mike's greatest clean amps. For dirt put a pedal board in front or in the effects loop. Otherwise one may have to go with a RxES, Maz GT or the new Zwreck for dirt. Run a two amp rig. I never use a reverb pedal with this amp when running into two blues or gold/blue it has a natural almost reverb quality.
chopstuck

Post by chopstuck »

I too would like to know where the Stank went wrong.
Heavens, an unused PI input !
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

chopstuck wrote:I too would like to know where the Stank went wrong.
Bump?
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

A person named Robin emailed me regarding accuracy of Stangray layout and schematic floating around.

Your email reports back as undeliverable so PM me.

Mark