Gretsch 6149 Schematic

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

passfan

Gretsch 6149 Schematic

Post by passfan »

This is an impossible to find schematic that I stumbled across , after weeks of searching , on schematic heaven. No other mb or site I googled had hide nor hair of it and I only found it by knowing that a lot of amplifiers and designs from the 50's and 60's came from or were manufactured by Valco. This is an interesting reverb unit in that it takes the speaker output from your amp and inputs it through a set of springs which then drives an output to another 10" speaker. I almost sold this unit until I found this schematic. Now I am restoring it. I haven't compared it all the way yet but from what I have seen so far it's dead on right down to the component values. The only difference so far is mine uses 12AX7 preamp tubes instead of 6EU7's. To make it easier for those who come behind me, it is now officially on the "net" and so can be googled and found.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
martin manning

Re: Gretsch 6149 Schematic

Post by martin manning »

Interesting unit there, and nice bit of detective work! It sure looks like the leads to the "Inst. Input" jack are reversed in the schematic though, doesn't it?
passfan

Post by passfan »

martin manning wrote:Interesting unit there. It sure looks like the leads to the "Inst. Input" jack are reversed in the schematic though, doesn't it?
Yes it does.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

passfan wrote:This is an impossible to find schematic that I stumbled across , after weeks of searching , on schematic heaven. No other mb or site I googled had hide nor hair of it and I only found it by knowing that a lot of amplifiers and designs from the 50's and 60's came from or were manufactured by Valco. This is an interesting reverb unit in that it takes the speaker output from your amp and inputs it through a set of springs which then drives an output to another 10" speaker. I almost sold this unit until I found this schematic. Now I am restoring it. I haven't compared it all the way yet but from what I have seen so far it's dead on right down to the component values. The only difference so far is mine uses 12AX7 preamp tubes instead of 6EU7's. To make it easier for those who come behind me, it is now officially on the "net" and so can be googled and found.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

KT66

Post by KT66 »

Strange bird indeed, thanks for posting this info. Somebody wrote me and asked about this amp because they had one that a hack job had been done on, so I collected all I could find on it but I could not locate a schematic. I'll post some pics I have that may help in your restoration.

Has anybody ever seen an amp branded with the Valco brand ? I am familiar with the section at Schematic Heaven, but have never seen an example of a Valco made amp branded as such and just wonder if they really exist. Another Valco made amp that is hard to find a schem of is the Supro 1624T. That's the one that most believe is the amp Page used on Zep 1 and goes for over 2 grand on Ebay. I looked through all of those Valco schematics at S.H. though and I found it labeled as the Valco 510-24 ( Which is almost identical to the later model 24 like the one Watts sells a kit for ) : http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20heav ... 510-24.pdf

I agree also, the instrument jack is not correct - the tip and shorting part of the jack have to be reversed otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Not to 'jack this thread, but...

I have just been through a Supro that has no model number, but the silkscreen on the faceplate says Valco - Chicago.

From the late-1966 EIA codes it is probably a 1967. It is the same basic architecture and obviously a very close relative of the 510-24, except it is 2x 6L6GC, and has a ss rectifier. This a 1x15" salt-and-pepper combo, with two chassis- preamp and trem in the upper one, along with the top-mounted controls; the power supply and power amp are in the lower. It is probably one of the S66xx series. I traced out the entire schematic, which might be useful to someone if I could identify the model name and number.

From the link above I'm planning to ask at the Magnatone-Valco Yahoo group, but maybe someone here has a clue?
backpack

Post by backpack »

I have a older gretsch thats the same as a 1624 but not the 1624t(tremolo)
They are some realy cool amps to play with. Mine was handed down from
my late father in law when he passed away in new jersey. The gretsch version has the aditional cap like page did to his. Torres has it on his site
if anyone is looking for it if I remember correctly.
passfan

Post by passfan »

KT66 wrote:Strange bird indeed, thanks for posting this info. Somebody wrote me and asked about this amp because they had one that a hack job had been done on, so I collected all I could find on it but I could not locate a schematic. I'll post some pics I have that may help in your restoration.

I agree also, the instrument jack is not correct - the tip and shorting part of the jack have to be reversed otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
Actually, that was me Ryan. I have since rewired the whole chassis based on this schematic and this thing works really well. I plugged it into a 2-12 and just straight in with a guitar and it is a tone monster. It's really sweet down low with a Tele and kicks major butt up high with a Les Paul. I sub'd a 12ax7 for the 6eu7 and watch the pinouts they'll have to be converted. This would be a great amp in the studio with the flexability that it offers. I no longer own this amp as I sold it to Guitar Center and it is for sale on their vintage page now. I have a new build planned for just the instrument part of the circuit and am collecting parts as I post this now.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
KT66

Post by KT66 »

That's funny. Now I don't have to look through my old emails to send you the schem.

A forumite is selling the Heyboer version of the OT : http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14095 Magnetic components, who is the original manufacturer, is coming out with one soon too.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those transformers can be bought at turretboards.com for the supro.
HawkeyeKane

Post by HawkeyeKane »

Gonna revive this thread. I don't own this, but I have it on extended loan from a friend. I've been hunting for this schematic for some time now, so MANY THANKS to the original poster. One pretty noticeable difference though is the speaker. As you can see, it's a ceramic instead of an alnico, and by cracky it's heavy! This look like another Jensen to anyone? Or perhaps a CTS?

It too uses 12AX7's in the preamp instead of 6EU7's. But a question I raise here...would that make a difference in the resistor value in the Gretsch as opposed to the ones listed in the schematic?