Noise Abatement

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Decko

Noise Abatement

Post by Decko »

Hi TAGers,

While moving into my new apartment, the landlord noticed my collection of amps and speaker cabinets.

He also mentioned how much he loves the quiet quiet...serene neighborhood.

Am I screwed?

If so, any ideas on an isolation compartment or sound proofing?

Decko :roll:
sliberty

Re: Noise Abatement

Post by sliberty »

Screwed. Find a new new place.

Actually, ask him first. You won't be letting the cat out of the bag - he already saw what he saw.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

It will probably depend more on your neighbors than your landlord. If your neighbors complain, then your landlord has the unpleasant task of dealing with it. Pick the right room to set up in and try to position things where they are least likely to blast through the walls. Get to know the neighbors. Even a Vibro Champ can produce enough volume to enrage the neighbors in the wrong situation.

It has been my experience that once the neighbors complain the first time, the noise threshold that they will tolerate will keep going down.

If all else fails, it may be time to put a headphone studio together. It actually shows more detail for practice and when you get to crank up through a real amp it is like someone took the parking break off.
rsalinger

Post by rsalinger »

My father is a man of good taste. He enjoys a good dose of Stevie Ray Vaughn with a side order of Pink Floyd and a shot Santana... and since he discovered Bonamassa... well, I won't get into that...

However, as a landlord, he has had the unfortunate task of "keeping the peace" between tenants. It's like Gibsonman63 says, "even a Vibro Champ can produce enough volume to enrage the neighbors in the wrong situation."
Music is an expression of the inexpressable ~ Vernon Reid, Musician.
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

Offer guitar lessons. Who knows maybe he'll become an instant groupie and start borrowing amps (or even commission one to be built!)...
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I'd be really tempted to build a small 3-4 amp and then add VVR to get it down to about a 1/2 watt and use that.

I think you should still be able to get reasonably good tone at about the same volume your apartment neighbors will play their TV's.

Then document ( or mark with tape) the settings on the amp pots, so IF there is a complaint that you can let the landlord hear the volume for theirself.

With respect, 10thtx
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sounds like its time to go acoustic.

Ha I am the landlord here.I'don't get any noise complaints and I play f'ing LOUD. :twisted: But we have houses not apartments.

I used to live in a duplex were the nieghbors played thump music all the time.I finaly got sick of it.So one night when they were haven a party I put a Fender twin right up against the dividing wall .Hooked up a fuzz turned it all the way up and gave them about an hour long guitar solo.I think they got the point
NickC

Post by NickC »

Decko wrote:.......................

It is nearly impossible to "soundproof" an apartment, without spending an insane amount of money which would all get left behind if/when you move. It would require the approval of the property owner and require permanent structural changes. Big, big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and even then, the space will always have inherent weakness and compromise from a sound-design point-of-view. Apartments just aren't ideal spaces that warrant that kind of expense.

You can treat the interior space with portable gobo's made of Roxul mineral wool insulation (or Owens Corning 703). I built mine with pine 1" x 6" frame, stuffed with the Roxul (2" x 2' x 4' batts, three pieces thick). Faced both sides with breathable canvas. Those are installed in corners of the studio to mitigate standing waves stacking up in the boundary planes (i.e. bass traps).
husky

Post by husky »

Decko wrote:Hi TAGers,

While moving into my new apartment, the landlord noticed my collection of amps and speaker cabinets.

He also mentioned how much he loves the quiet quiet...serene neighborhood.

Am I screwed?

Forget about sound proofing unless you are talking about sound proofing a 1W amp. You would need to build an isolated room in a room. This is the best time to buy a house, my wife is an agent if you need help :wink:
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
overtone

Post by overtone »

Decko, you are not alone! Three years ago I lost my space out at the port authority and all the gear came into my inner city apartment. The neighbors knew about the Farfisa organs but when the amps, cabs and old EV Eliminator folded bins were being hauled up the stairs a few words were said.
I half started a couple of huge isolation boxes but invested in a Palmer PDI-03 instead. I run that to a preamp/converter then to the laptop and blast what is left of my hearing into nirvana through headphones.
+1 to not investing in acoustic treatment of the building. If you move again you can take the Palmer away with you. It has a good resale value in the unlikely event of having to sell it later down the road.
Good luck,
tony
Decko

PCI versus isolation box

Post by Decko »

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response off on a business trip.

1/2 the sound of an amp is the speaker cabinet. I tune the amp to the cabinet.

As I continue to build amps can I effectively tune the amp to the speaker through the PDI or an isolation cabinet?

Overtone, are you using your PDI just for playing or building too?

Gibsonman, you mention headphone system. Could you expound?

I am imagining an isolation cabinet that is big enough to contain my 4X12 Marshall cabinet with G12Ms. Because of the size I could also load the isolation cabinet with the 2X12.
What would be the optimal dimensions?
What would be the best sound proofing material?
What would be the best microphone placement in the cabinet?
Would an internal shock dampening system be helpful?

Or is this endeavor FUTILE?

Obviously nothing beats cranking your amp through your cab full bore.

Regards,
Danny
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Eeks. No good answers. (except a direct load)

Decouple the cab from the floor with multi layer foam product, and muffle the bejeesus out of it. Iso cabinets have nasty plate modes where the frequencies are all standing and waving on each other, like micing a bass drum beater head inside with a cardioid condenser and a tiny blow hole, or basketball in an empty arena. POINK POINK POINK...

I use riveted surplus army blankets, and a saddle blanket over that for the cowboy good looks. Yeehaw!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Its time for you to build either rjguitars mini amp or Dana Hall's mini amp, that would work perfect for apartment noodling.
overtone

Re: PCI versus isolation box

Post by overtone »

Decko wrote:...Obviously nothing beats cranking your amp through your cab full bore....
+1. Ain't nothing like the feel of your jeans flapping in front of the 4x12s :wink:
Decko wrote:Overtone, are you using your PDI just for playing or building too?...
Danny, the PDI-03 is for playing in the apartment. I have to be silent here. I cannot even use a semi-acoustic after 10:30 pm. This is Germany.
It is for recording sketches / demos. I don't use it while building or voicing amps. But I have to say that the last two amp builds were actually voiced with the Palmer in mind, which in my case was brighter.
I use extensive EQ after the PDI, e.g. narrow cuts around 6k-8k, but only on the amps that have high quality OTs! YMMV.

By the way, the PDI-09 is like the 03, cheaper because it has no dummy load.

Isolation:
Recently I saw that Randall had developed a new isolation cabinet that has a long folded port to compensate for the lack of air movement.
Way before that, I heard of a guy who built a play-house around his 4x12 out of bales of rockwool. He just stacked the unopened packages like Lego.

Good luck,
tony
overtone

Post by overtone »

don't confuse the PDI-03 with an attenuator. It is a DI with induction and EQ.
You can route your speakers through it, but there is no attenuation,
tony