switchraft switching jack failures

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Milkmansound

switchraft switching jack failures

Post by Milkmansound »

I have been experiencing a high failure rate with these type of jacks lately:

http://www.allparts.com/Jacks-s/22.htm

specifically that the switch is opening up, and letting a boatload of noise into the first tube stage when the amp is sitting there idle, minding its own business.

Anyone else seen this recently? I am no longer going to use them for inputs in my amps. Its sad, because I am the proud owner of a few dozen jacks.
billyz

Re: switchraft switching jack failures

Post by billyz »

They are pretty easy to fix. I have had the same problem with the cliff jacks, only they are harder to fix.
Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

well thats not very reassuring! I was hoping the cliff type jacks would be the solution to this problem.

I have fixed the switchcraft jacks by bending the switch contact, but I don't trust that not to open right back up again.

Have you found a permanent solution that fixes them for good?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I never even heard of anyone being able to fix the new ones besides Billy Z. Frankly, the new Switchcrafts just suck. I switched (no pun) to Cliff UK jacks - the rep actually told me that 65 Amps had a huge warranty issue with amps they sent over to Europe with bad SC's and it cost them tens of thousands. They switched to Cliff UK. He also said Two Rock had had some nightmares too. And regardless of those stories, you're yet another person to add to list of those who've had bad luck with the Switchcrafts. We all outta write them an email to fix it!
jelle

Post by jelle »

I have written about these a few times now. Easy to fix although I wish it wasn't needed.

Clean them, retighten and just like with other switching jacks, these need maintenance.

If you would like to part with yours, I'm all ears.

Jelle
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I've tried retensioning as well as using a fine grit sand paper between the contacts, but had no luck. With my jacks I wouldn't ever loose contact completey - the contacts would be intermittent and definitely looked like they were touching, however they were actually not. I personally don't feel like any decent jacks should need maintenance unless they are pretty old. And I wish I still had the SC's to give you, but I already pawned them off on some other sucker
:wink:
xtian

Post by xtian »

No one has mentioned DeOxit, so I will. Improves. Electrical. Contacts.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, it sure can, but from what I've read Switchcraft started having issues when they switched to ROHS - something with the plating. I dunno, could just be hearsay. I really do prefer the open-frame design, and I think some people like the Neutrik stuff. I read in another thread Dr. Z switched to a fancier sealed Switchcraft, and IIRC it was because of reliability issue...

Haha, I feel like I spewing all kinds of unsubstantiated BS in this thread. Sorry, but those damned switching contacts have broken my heart more than once!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Anyone have experience with this type of Switchcraft jack?

I seem to have quite a few of these. They might even be the Mil. version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

No, but those are the ones that Dr. Z is now using in the Zwreck (probably others as well).
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Firestorm wrote:Anyone have experience with this type of Switchcraft jack?

I seem to have quite a few of these. They might even be the Mil. version.
I've used them in a few pedals for the slightly smaller envelope that they have as compared to the standard open type. They are open at the back (not sealed in any way), and seemed to work fine. I've not had any issues with the standard open ones either. (Probably shouldn't have said that...) The Mil Spec open jacks have silver contacts, I believe, and cost 2-3x as much.
Prairie Dawg

Post by Prairie Dawg »

Gaz wrote:I never even heard of anyone being able to fix the new ones besides Billy Z. Frankly, the new Switchcrafts just suck. I switched (no pun) to Cliff UK jacks - the rep actually told me that 65 Amps had a huge warranty issue with amps they sent over to Europe with bad SC's and it cost them tens of thousands. They switched to Cliff UK. He also said Two Rock had had some nightmares too. And regardless of those stories, you're yet another person to add to list of those who've had bad luck with the Switchcrafts. We all outta write them an email to fix it!
Just what you'd expect from a sales rep talking about the competition. Just sayin'. The grain of salt is there.
If you believe in coincidence you're not looking close enough-Joe leaphorn
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I suppose, but he really didn't make a big deal of it. What he was very pissed about was the fake Cliff jacks, however.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Gaz wrote:What he was very pissed about was the fake Cliff jacks, however.
I'll bet. Some of the fakes even say "CLIFF" on them.
tdvt

Post by tdvt »

That's not good news. Seemed like Switchcraft stuff was one of those rare constants in the universe.

Just looked quickly, the mil-spec open frame version is the C12BX, $5.40 in quantities of 10 from Mouser. Not enough to break the bank but they don't give'em away.