Should One a a midrange control on their blackface Bassman?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jerry2013

Should One a a midrange control on their blackface Bassman?

Post by Jerry2013 »

Read where it'd be simple to do, so should One a a midrange control on their Blackface Bassman?
Mad Gooper- must be stopped before I Goop again!
dobbhill

Re: Should One a a midrange control on their blackface Bassman?

Post by dobbhill »

I put a midrange control in the #2 input jack of my Bassman and really like having the added "control" it offers. The question's syntax was a bit unclear, so if I understand the question, then, I vote "YES."
D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
David Root

Post by David Root »

Not if One wants it to keep its value and not be labeled a Desecrator.

However, if it's already been hacked, maybe. Just don't drill a hole in the faceplate.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Use the back extra jack hold and it is totally reversible. While you're at it, use a push/pull pot so you can lift the ground for a sweet boost.
Jerry2013

Post by Jerry2013 »

mhartman wrote:Use the back extra jack hold and it is totally reversible. While you're at it, use a push/pull pot so you can lift the ground for a sweet boost.
Trying to get rid of me alrady?
From the Joe Bonnomassa forum regarding ground lift;

QUOTE' Not to be a spoil-sport, but I'd rather not read about something happening to either one of you because someone didn't say something.

The practice of using a ground lift on an amp is bad enough, but clipping the wide blade (called Neutral) on the ground lift adapter and reversing it makes it far worse. Neutral is grounded through the power panel, the other (called Hot) is not. By reversing these, Neutral is actually Hot inside the amp and is no longer protected by the fuse and switch as the amp was designed. This is what made the two prong plugs in old amps such killers - Neutral and Hot could be reversed. In this case, if the reversed Neutral shorts inside the amp, 120v gets connected to the chassis, and there is no fuse to blow. RIP.

Rubber soled shoes will not prevent electrocution if there is a voltage difference between the two pieces of gear that you happen to grab a hold of. You simply complete the open circuit - grounded or not. Current will flow through you in whichever direction has the lower voltage reference. Different gear has different ground references - they are not always 0 volts. With no ground (it was lifted) to "sync" them to a common reference, one "gnd." could be at 60 volts and another at 10 volts. The seemingly small 50 volt difference will kill you if the current is high enough.

Joe has more practical experience with this in stage settings than I ever will, but I've been working on gear for close to 30 years and have been zapped more than my share (my wife says I never learn). Always use a ground or an approved isolation transformer. I wish the amp makers would take a tip from the medical field and use isolated power. All medical gear is required to use it for this very reason.\
_ END QUOTE
Mad Gooper- must be stopped before I Goop again!
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I was referring to bypassing your tone stack by disconnecting the mid pot from ground with a push/pull pot. Totally different concept from your quote. Mine has nothing to do with lifting the earth ground. It won't kill you (might make your ears ring if you turn it up though). In fact, this concept, "lifting the tone stack" is used on most Dumbles (PAB) without incident.

Jerry2013 wrote:
mhartman wrote:Use the back extra jack hold and it is totally reversible. While you're at it, use a push/pull pot so you can lift the ground for a sweet boost.
Trying to get rid of me alrady?
From the Joe Bonnomassa forum regarding ground lift;

QUOTE' Not to be a spoil-sport, but I'd rather not read about something happening to either one of you because someone didn't say something.

The practice of using a ground lift on an amp is bad enough, but clipping the wide blade (called Neutral) on the ground lift adapter and reversing it makes it far worse. Neutral is grounded through the power panel, the other (called Hot) is not. By reversing these, Neutral is actually Hot inside the amp and is no longer protected by the fuse and switch as the amp was designed. This is what made the two prong plugs in old amps such killers - Neutral and Hot could be reversed. In this case, if the reversed Neutral shorts inside the amp, 120v gets connected to the chassis, and there is no fuse to blow. RIP.

Rubber soled shoes will not prevent electrocution if there is a voltage difference between the two pieces of gear that you happen to grab a hold of. You simply complete the open circuit - grounded or not. Current will flow through you in whichever direction has the lower voltage reference. Different gear has different ground references - they are not always 0 volts. With no ground (it was lifted) to "sync" them to a common reference, one "gnd." could be at 60 volts and another at 10 volts. The seemingly small 50 volt difference will kill you if the current is high enough.

Joe has more practical experience with this in stage settings than I ever will, but I've been working on gear for close to 30 years and have been zapped more than my share (my wife says I never learn). Always use a ground or an approved isolation transformer. I wish the amp makers would take a tip from the medical field and use isolated power. All medical gear is required to use it for this very reason.\
_ END QUOTE
:wink: :wink:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Jerry2013 wrote: From the Joe Bonnomassa forum regarding ground lift
:?

Please make this a sticky.

:wink:
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Seconded!
mr_hankey

Post by mr_hankey »

I've tried it, and didn't find it to be particularly useful at all. There's only one setting which sounds good, and it's more of a volume control than a midrange control, anyway.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Reeltarded wrote:
Jerry2013 wrote: From the Joe Bonnomassa forum regarding ground lift
:?

Please make this a sticky.

:wink:
Oh Lordy.....
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

mhartman wrote:I was referring to bypassing your tone stack by disconnecting the mid pot from ground with a push/pull pot. Totally different concept from your quote. Mine has nothing to do with lifting the earth ground. It won't kill you (might make your ears ring if you turn it up though). In fact, this concept, "lifting the tone stack" is used on most Dumbles (PAB) without incident.
+1 for being a safe mod - not at all messing with the ground of the power supply.

Other builders use a pot at the bottom of the tone stack to vary the resistance to ground - aka "Raw" control.