Red Goop In Dr. Z & Metro Amps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Red Goop In Dr. Z & Metro Amps

Post by Blackburn »

Anyone know what that red gunk is and anyone here use it? I think I've seen it on one or two of my MM output trannies' secondary wires. A pain in the ass to work with, if I remember right. You need some real good heat to work through it or a blade to scrape it off. Is it good for sealing your solder joints? I'm just curious.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbass

Re: Red Goop In Dr. Z & Metro Amps

Post by cbass »

Don't know but I would never buy or work on an amp thats gooped.I think its the stupidist shit I've ever heard of.

Never mind you are talking about corona dope not goop lol
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I think it's actually just rd sharpie on the Dr. Zs. I think
in the Metros it's Glyphtal or Dykem. I've used Dykem and it works well.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Isn't corona used to keep stuff from arcing why in the hell would you need to put it on the pots and stuff?
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Looks like some sort of conformal coating.

Maybe it used as a tamper evident seal for warranty?

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Glyptal was supposed to be used for its anti arc properties - sort of a pasty orange-red goop. Most often seen in the back of dusty old TV's on circuits handling multi-thousands of volts.

I've seen some old Marshalls where every connexion has a blue, purple or red paint spot, presumably to mark that it has "passed inspection."

Some modern builders modders & repair people feel they have to mark their connexions. Seen everything used for this including sparkle nail polish. Go figure...

If anti-arcing goop is needed, good ol' GE RTV works fine. Used it in circuits up to 25 KV.
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

I like dr z amps And he seems like a cool guy himself But I would be totally pissed if ordered a $2,000 Head and It had a universal chassis with a bunch of plugged holes.In fact it would go right back in the mail for a refund
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

That's just QC: "Yes I checked the joint" stuff. No properties besides color I can discern.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

The Dr Z red mark on solder joints is just a marker pen, it doesn't hinder re-work in the slightest.
I would be totally pissed if ordered a $2,000 Head and It had a universal chassis with a bunch of plugged holes
To me, it seems a valid choice to design a chassis which will suit multiple amp models - a sensible economy of scale that might be expected on such a reasonable priced amp (considering it's hand built in the USA with worldwide dealer network / support). Rather it would be perverse not do so.
Pete
mijomo

Post by mijomo »

I agree with John that it's used as a tamper evident seal for warranty.

I worked for Musicians Friend (Guitar Center . com / Music 123 / Woodwind & Brasswind) for a few years as a product trainer, sales coach, and customer service trainer. When vendors would come in and I would get to open up their amps they almost always said that that was so they would know if someone had been tampering with their product. One rep told me that it was just part of quality control on the assembly line.

So yeah, totally makes sense. As long as the chemical composite is non-corrosive it should not affect anything outside of acting as an insulator, that is, if it is made of a type of wax or plastic.

Hope that helps.
cbass

Post by cbass »

pdf64 wrote:The Dr Z red mark on solder joints is just a marker pen, it doesn't hinder re-work in the slightest.
I would be totally pissed if ordered a $2,000 Head and It had a universal chassis with a bunch of plugged holes
To me, it seems a valid choice to design a chassis which will suit multiple amp models - a sensible economy of scale that might be expected on such a reasonable priced amp (considering it's hand built in the USA with worldwide dealer network / support). Rather it would be perverse not do so.
Pete
I totally disagree.If they were 7 or 800 bucks sure I'd go for that .Don't guess it matters I'd build my own anyway.
Before you try to start telling me how hard it is to make money building amps
Try to make some money doing what I do for living
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

mijomo wrote:As long as the chemical composite is non-corrosive it should not affect anything outside of acting as an insulator, that is, if it is made of a type of wax or plastic.
When I have to change a part, I scrub the stuff off with a little wire brush first so there's no mystery chemicals mixing with the solder or possibly causing corrosion to the iron's tip.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Fender did it. But in those days, nobody looked inside.

If that's your final arbiter, so be it (it's your money).

But Mr. Dumble repurposed chassis's and transformers and we pay crazy money for those.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I should've paid closer attention when checking out those pics. The Z definitely looks different than the Metro, as it retains shine and isn't opaque. I think it's a great idea for making an amp 'tamper evident'. Guys like that have good reason to do so, producing amps at the level that they are.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I guess. I don't know ?I just know how much work it takes me to buy an amp like that.
I don't half ass anything even if it means im losing money.As far as paying work goes anyway.
To me all those plugged holes is halfassed.
I guess if I new so much I'd have a big successful amp company