Miniature relays: how small is too small?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mickey_C

Miniature relays: how small is too small?

Post by Mickey_C »

The EC2 relays have some pretty impressive specs, all the way round. Higher than normal contact ratings, super sensitive low power for relay actuation... but they're tiny little buggers...

[img:95:95]http://www.nec-tokin.com/english/produc ... _e/ec2.jpg[/img]

We're talking super-miniature. A 1.5" x 2.5" board could hold ten of them, with connection headers.

At some point, when dealing with guitar amp signals, is there such a thing as "too small"? I'm thinking potential signal crosstalk issues, or cap squeals? Anything you can think of?
mhuss

Re: Miniature relays: how small is too small?

Post by mhuss »

I don't think the size of the relay matters at all -- but how close the relays are to each other certainly might, depending on the signal each was carrying.

I think cramming a dozen on a small board would certainly be asking for trouble. :wink:

--mark
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have tried Omron miniature DC relays, look much like yours. I fixed them to the chassis apron with hi-tech carpet tape, which works fine, but direct soldering those little pins to a 22 ga. (even 28 ga.) wire is not easy. They work fine electrically, no problems, and seemed mechanically stable, but if you ever have to rewire them, or your soldering technique is on the heavy side, the pins break out real easy.

If you use them on the kind of board they're designed for, and you're as good as a wave solder machine, I think they would be great!
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

i use dip14 size relays. never a problem.

germ
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

David Root wrote:
If you use them on the kind of board they're designed for, and you're as good as a wave solder machine, I think they would be great!
if mounting relays to a board, cheap enough to use sockets, if the relays will fit into em. some dont, though.

germ
FUCHSAUDIO

my experience

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

The dip relays are the smallest ones you want to play with for this purpose, mostly due to price.

I looked into micro relays (about the size of a pinky nail!), which I bought surplus. I loved them, except they were about two dollars surplus, and when I tried to buy them retail, they were fifteen to thirty dollars each. The dip relays are surplus for about one dollar and even the best ones are not more than 5 or 6 bucks new.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.