So, what's wrong with Switchcraft and JJ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sixstringer

So, what's wrong with Switchcraft and JJ?

Post by sixstringer »

I like Switchcraft jacks and plugs. I like JJ tubes, I find them to be more consistent than other current manufacture tubes (admittedly, that's not saying that much, but they work well for me).
matt h

Re: So, what's wrong with Switchcraft and JJ?

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuben

Post by stuben »

Switchcraft jacks are the best, they will last for decades! What is the alternative? Those shitty jacks found in British amps that break constantly? Show me a jack that is better! As for JJ tubes I have no complaints, never had a bad experience.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

If you look on google you will find issues with every brand of current production valve. I think of it this way, if I read posts from maybe 10 people bashing JJ Valves, that is just 10 people out of say thousands that have bought those valves. So looking at it that way the brand doesn't look so bad after all as only 10 people are complaining! Plus people are often quicker to bash a brand than to praise it, its just how we are as human beings. Like we hear about bad news more than good news.

My personal opinion on JJ Valves is they are very consistent, but like any valve of today find a dealer that tests them for you. As for the tone well there is no point me telling you what I think as you may use one and think different. You just need to try them yourself, if you like them then great, ignore what everyone else says!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

stuben wrote:Switchcraft jacks are the best, they will last for decades! What is the alternative? Those shitty jacks found in British amps that break constantly? Show me a jack that is better! As for JJ tubes I have no complaints, never had a bad experience.
The switching jack on Switch Crafts (Switchcraps) is a big problem and is common. This has only been an issue however is the last 5 years or so. I know of it costing one boutique company $13,000 in warranty repairs. UK cliff jacks are definitely better nowadays, and better looking too with the chrome nut in my opinion. They are already isolated too which makes proper grounding easier without having to buy little iso washers. I have seen many Marshalls, Oranges, and Hiwatts with original jacks... So I guess that may constitute as someone showing you something better....
David Root

Post by David Root »

Not the first time I've said this, but Gaz is right about the Switchcraft shunt tip jacks. The standard ones in my experience go intermittent, about 30% reject rate.

Try the milspec C12AX, silver plated and better constructed contacts, presumably US made. Cost twice as much but they ALL work as they should.
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

You hear a lot about what someone/a company has done wrong, and not always so much praise about what they've done right. Goes with everything. That's why I make my own opinions and judgement about the things I can first hand, even if I'm told not to. I'm a freakin rebel though, so, ymmv.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, those sealed Switchcrafts look good. I remember first noticing them in that gut shot of the Zwreck.

Of course the regular ones are okay for non-switching applications, but yeah using the other ones is too risky for me.

JJ have been fine for me, especially the short plate 12AX7s, which are always low noise regarldless of "grade." I have had issues with them buzzing in the CF position, and I think it has something to do with the spiral filament. The buzz can be dialed out with a humdinger, but not totally. Switching to any other brand solves the problem, and I have experienced this in different amps with different layouts/voltages.

Their power tubes seem fine except I had really bad luck a while back with their KT77s (this was a few sets). The screen grids would overdissipate quite easily and short, and I think they must've been badly misaligned. Switched to their regular EL34s and they lasted years. This was in a 420vdc B+ JCM800 style amp, so nothing crazy.

I think all tubes are a crapshoot, even from a reputable dealer. Best thing you can do is get them from someone who has a warranty and design scratch builds conservatively.
harleyboy2112

Post by harleyboy2112 »

I agree totally with the Switchcraft issue. I still have one customer that has the switching jacks in his amp. I managed to fix them once after an issue (only time I've managed to fix the new Switchcraft jacks). I told him any time in the future they fail again to bring it and in & I'd replace them with Cliff UK jacks.
There is a thread, I believe on this forum, that talks about jack issues. Cliff even had issues when they allowed someone else to also manufacture their jacks.
I funny side note. In my day job I build industrial control panels. One day I had a vendor bring in a Switchcraft rep. My vendor knows I build amps and mentioned it to the rep. When he asked me if I used Switchcraft jacks I kindly explained to him that I ended up replacing just about everyone I ever put in an amp, & I had no love for them. I knew it wouldn't change anything but it was nice to let someone from the company know what I thought.

As far as tubes go, they all seem to have their cycles of issues. I hated Electo Harmonix tubes when they first came out. I had a number of microphonic preamp tubes and their power tubes were all over the map I thought. I hear they are not to bad now. I've also had a number of dead JJ 12AX7's right out of the box.
It's a chore trying to keep up with decent new production tubes.
Lately I've been using TAD and Tung Sols.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

stuben

Post by stuben »

Gaz wrote:
stuben wrote:Switchcraft jacks are the best, they will last for decades! What is the alternative? Those shitty jacks found in British amps that break constantly? Show me a jack that is better! As for JJ tubes I have no complaints, never had a bad experience.
The switching jack on Switch Crafts (Switchcraps) is a big problem and is common. This has only been an issue however is the last 5 years or so. I know of it costing one boutique company $13,000 in warranty repairs. UK cliff jacks are definitely better nowadays, and better looking too with the chrome nut in my opinion. They are already isolated too which makes proper grounding easier without having to buy little iso washers. I have seen many Marshalls, Oranges, and Hiwatts with original jacks... So I guess that may constitute as someone showing you something better....
Thanks for the update! I appreciate it.

I was unaware of these recent problem. Guess its time to give the Cliff jacks a try.