Ted Weber, Etc!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The Ballzz

Ted Weber, Etc!

Post by The Ballzz »

Hey All,
In the past, I've somewhat bashed Weber for failing to respond to repeated voice messages and emails. I must say that I had a surprisingly pleasant experience with them today. I actually got hold of a courteous and eager to be helpful human being on the second call attempt! I told the gentleman, with open ears, of the general consensus of lack of customer service and response and was informed that they are working diligently towards correcting it. I like to see small "Ma & Pa" cpmpanies be successful! We'll see how it all goes!

Credit Where Credit Is Due,
Gene
SilverFox

Near Death Experiences'

Post by SilverFox »

Perhaps they've had a "Corporate Near Death Experience". That sort of experience can change one's life. Not that I've had one, just sayin. It would be good since, as a result of all the bad publicity I've heard I wouldn't think of buying a speaker from them...

silverfox.
The Ballzz

Re: Ted Weber, Etc!

Post by The Ballzz »

Their transformers get a bad rep also! Their attenuators, however, are pretty OK and seemingly well built! I think they found that simply riding on the late Ted Weber's coat tails can only last so long!

We Shall See What We Shall See,
Gene
boots

Post by boots »

I've always had pretty good luck with them. A few months ago I had a speaker reconed, and they charged my credit card way too much. I sent TA and email asking WTF??? and he replied promptly and courteously, and the problem was corrected immediately.

I had the impression that maybe they had a problem employee on board, but I don't know for sure. I hope they can keep it together, because I am always in favor of doing business with the small ma & pa companies.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
RWood

Post by RWood »

Now if we could just get Triode U.S.A. to improve !!!!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
rp

Post by rp »

The DIY tube community (or any DIY community) is the wrong one to provide mediocre or bad service to. By definition they are some mix of cheap, savvy, informed, educated, detailed, critical, fussy, obsessive, perfectionist... and await on their parts like kids for Christmas presents. Tough crowd, anyone supplying them should know that.

I had good luck w/Weber and Triode but long ago so can't say now.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Weber is pretty local for me (about an hour and a half away), and they always treat me well when I e-mail or stop in the shop. I'm sure I've told the story before, but TA himself took me for a tour my first time there. Even got a free shirt! I've had a couple issues: A bad copper cap (that was immediately replaced) and a multitap transformer that had way wrong voltages (and all the ones in the shop were the same, and I didn't get that issue solved, but I worked around it). Overall, I'm glad to have them around.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I'm trying this seller for transformers, he has US made items also now.
http://stores.ebay.com/Musical-Power-Supplies?_rdc=1
I've bought an OT19PP for an AO-35 conversion.
Nice looking piece, well made, sounds good so far.
The guy shipped within one hour of me placing my order.
Gotta like that.
David Root

Post by David Root »

MPP is a great outfit for our needs, and like RJ, he is one of us, an enthusiast. Both guys give great service and have good stuff.

I have not had any problems myself with Weber. I recently bought their 1/2W resistor boxes and they are well priced especially considering how long it would take you to do one yourself.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

My friend, Terry Shaffer of http://www.gramplifiers.com uses their stuff whenever appropriate for the particular build. The quality is very good. You will rarely, if ever speak to MPS on the phone, but email response is timely, clear and accurate! I think you'll be pleased. Just stay away from their china made stuff that is fairly clearly defined on their website. There's a reason the stuff from Chi-nesia-wan-orea-nam-pan is cheaper!
Just Sayin'
Gene
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've done business with Weber for 15 Years or more, and have had no issues with electronic parts or speakers. Well, I had one California 12 that the metal dustcap disentegrated into 6 random pieces. No cone, coil or grill cloth damage, It was the weirdest thing. But Ted had it fixed and returned in 2 days at no charge. I have used 30 or so, of many different models of their speakers, and all are great. I really love the Alnico Blue Dogs.
I've used many of their deluxe verb size power xfmrs with great results.
As to the Scumback squabble, I don't know what transpired, but from my experience I find it hard to fault the Weber crew. YMMV.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
sonofmickel

Post by sonofmickel »

Always had great service with Weber.
Yeah, some of the parts specs are "beginner" quality, but that's why I hack on amps now. I literally have no fear of wrecking parts while experimenting. I would have never done that with a Trinity or Tube Depot kit.

I had a under-speced PT on an amp kit and, over a year later, they replaced it with one of their higher end PT at no charge(free shipping too). They seem to have better parts spec now and the cost has gone up, but still a good place to begin messing with electrons.

I now have 5 homebuilt amps(in various states of chrysalis) and only two factory built amps. It's a disease.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I had problems with their transformers, but they kept sending me new ones till one was right. I offered to ship the others back and they said don't worry about it. The fact they stuck with me awarded them my business. Super nice guys.
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

Thanks Folks,
From the "jist" of most replies, my original post was well placed. Even with past issues, I thought I'd give them another chance, especially because they're the only ones who have what I wanted! If all, or most of my order is correct when it arrives (or not) I'll post back with an update. I'm certainly happy to hear that most others have been having good luck with Weber!
Again, Credit Where Credit Is Due,
Gene