Standel S-80

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Deric

Standel S-80

Post by Deric »

I have a very clean (inside - ugly on the outside) Standel S-80 head. No matching cab. Has all original tubes. Tubes light up but filter caps are bad. No schematic to be found anywhere. Have started tracing it out.

Any experience with these? Are they cool? Worth anything? A non-working "for parts" one recently sold on the 'bay for $550. Trying to decide if it's worth my time to get it working or if I should just sell it as is...

Thoughts? Schematics?

Thanks
Deric®
Phazor

Re: Standel S-80

Post by Phazor »

What tubes are in an S80 ? I have an old Standel that used SS modules for pream and tremolo but missing in the head and 6BQ5 output tubes with a 12ax7 phase driver. It uses a voltage doubler power supply and runs at 410 volts cathode Bias. It then uses a screen voltage of 150 volts on screens to keep the tubes from burning up. I have a hand drawn schematic of the power supply for an S 100. The circuit can be traced . On your amp does it use the black epoxy modules preamps?
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

Is it between 1962 and 1972?
If so look here:
http://www.standelamps.com/support/sche ... index.html
Cheers,
Ian
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

What are the codes stamped or printed on the transformer's?
In regards to the maintaining the heath of the PT if the filters are gone I would not be turning the amp on until you derate the fuse by 1/4 amp and or swap over to a fast blow type if it's made for a slow blow type.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Deric

Post by Deric »

No date codes on the transformers. PT is Stancor PC8411 OT is Stancor A-3801 Cap cans had date code of 6013 so I'm assuming it's 1960-61

No epoxy modules - tubes are
2 - 12ax7
1 - 6u8a
2 - 6dq6
1 - 0d3
1 - 5u4

I've replaced filter caps and rebuilt the bias supply and all is working as expected including the 0d3 regulator tube. Haven't fired it up with output and preamp tubes yet. Have been tracing it out and should have a schematic done soon - been too busy with work.

Thanks for the input!
Deric®
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

This may give you some hints to the Standel S80 circuit arrangement.
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/playmaster/pm117cct60w2.gif

The OD3 would be the 6DQ6 screen grid regulator.
The 6U8A would be arranged much like the 6BL8 in the posted circuit.

6DQ6 are great in Git Amps.

Cheers,
Ian
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Only the SS Standel amps I have worked on thad the epoxy fishing weight box circuit modules.

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Deric

Post by Deric »

Ian,

Thanks for the link. Lots of similarities...

Schematic attached. Not sure on pot values. The volume and accent pots are stamped FY8875 and the treble and bass pots are stamped FY8876. Measuring in circuit they appear to be 500K for the volume and accent and 1M for the treble and bass. Also not sure on the cap from pin 6 to pin 9 on the 6u8a and the lower cap on the bass control. One appears to be marked .01 and the other has no markings but they look like the same cap...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deric®
Deric

Post by Deric »

Pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deric®
Deric

Post by Deric »

Deric®
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Man ! That's some chassis no wonder they did not make too many of those!

oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Did you get it going? How does it sound?
Deric

Post by Deric »

I've been swamped with other work so I haven't had a chance to touch it since the last post. Hoping to get it back on the bench this weekend. Not much left to do - I'll update if I make any progress.
Deric®
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

Hey, I found the original schematic on the Standel Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/74587484590/). Attached!
Deric

Post by Deric »

Awesome!

Thanks!
Deric®