PPIMV Asymmetric Bright Cap

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Xander8280

PPIMV Asymmetric Bright Cap

Post by Xander8280 »

In an Marshall style power amp of my experiment amp I have a PPIMV with coupling caps on both ends (top lug and wiper, the bottom lug grounded). Putting a bright cap on one gang of the dual gang added a LOT of brightness to the tone.

Any of you guys played with imbalanced tone controls on the output stage? I imagine it won't be good for balancing but, interesting harmonic content.
Malcolm Irving

Re: PPIMV Asymmetric Bright Cap

Post by Malcolm Irving »

That's an interesting concept. I've not tried it, or even thought of it before. It will change the asymmetry between the +ve going part of the waveform and the -ve going part. That means it increases (or may even decrease) the level of the even-order harmonics. The effect would be greater for high frequencies (for a bright cap). Other types of EQ might also be worth investigating. Thanks for suggesting the idea.
Xander8280

Post by Xander8280 »

Malcolm Irving wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 am That's an interesting concept. I've not tried it, or even thought of it before. It will change the asymmetry between the +ve going part of the waveform and the -ve going part. That means it increases (or may even decrease) the level of the even-order harmonics. The effect would be greater for high frequencies (for a bright cap). Other types of EQ might also be worth investigating. Thanks for suggesting the idea.
I think it would be fun to have as a trimmed control but, degradation and drift of PI/Power Tube biasing would ruin all the fun overtime!
Mr. Lime

Post by Mr. Lime »

How's about slightly different coupling cap values after the PI?

Is it worth a try?
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

With couple caps in and out, does that mean you have to insert the bias circuit after the coupling caps coming out?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk