Recommend single tube reverb? No inductors allowed, just one tube

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

KivettBednar

Recommend single tube reverb? No inductors allowed, just one tube

Post by KivettBednar »

Hey y’all! Looking for good examples of single tube reverb schematics. No inductors/transformers allowed. No paralleling triodes. Just one triode send, one triode receive.

Any recommendations? Much appreciated!
martin manning

Re: Recommend single tube reverb? No inductors allowed, just one tube

Post by martin manning »

This came up (again) just recently: http://www.channelroadamps.com/articles/reverb_driver/ Seems to fit your spec except the driver is a pentode.
KivettBednar

Post by KivettBednar »

Thank you man!~

Any specific amps that have them in them?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

There may be no one that loves the sound of tubes more then me, but since no amp ever made that has the reverb in the signal chain where it should be, that being dead last then I say just get yourself a good reverb stomp box to go after your guitar and be done with it!

Reverb pans sound there absolute best when there driven by high current which 12AX7s do not have , my pick would be a 12bH7 tube if your PT has enough V+ current left after powering all of your other tubes in the amp.

The normal parallel plate reverb driver set up of a 12at7 can't even muster up 8 ma of current, just one plate section of a 12bh7 can summon up over 11ma!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

KivettBednar wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:50 amAny specific amps that have them in them?
I have seen transformerless reverb drivers (EL84 pentode, e.g.) in a few commercial amp schematics, but I can't recall any one-tube designs like the one linked. The clip sounds pretty good.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello -

Believe Billy Zoom's Little Kahuna tube effect has a reverb circuit very similar to the Channel Road design, but based the larger pentode in an ECL82. As Martin says, the samples shared sound quite good and the engineering notes are sound.

Best .. Ian
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

I've used a 12dw7 for this to pretty good effect
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

the au7 triode on the send and ax7 triode on receive. i claim authorship on this.... i looked up a ton of different single tube reverbs for inspiration and scribbled this on the back of a paper plate

PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
KivettBednar

Post by KivettBednar »

Right on. The Benson reverb uses that tube, I believe.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

reverb tank was the high impedance kind. like 2k/2k. the low impedance type most likely will need a transformer. important information obviously lok
jcool666

Post by jcool666 »

I dont know of any commercial examples, but you could do a foldback reverb loop. You wouldnt need to use any tubes for the send portion, just 1 for recovery and mixer. The easiest way is to use a dwell control to take the signal from the output transformer and feed it directly into the tank. Kevin O'Connor had a section of his reverb chapter that outlined how to do a foldback reverb loop in The Ultimate Tone (vol. 1) By all accounts its not the strongest reverb effect, but at least as good as using a 12AX7 to drive a piezo transducer, a la Silvertone.
"Dime the controls, tune to drop D and flog the strings like they were naughty,"
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

I suspect similar to what Swart uses? I've been wanting to do a reverb like this for a spell. The 12DW7 seems like great tube for this.

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... amplifier/
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
jcool666

Post by jcool666 »

No. The circuit I'm talking about takes the signal from the secondary on the output transformer and pushes it directly into the input of an 8 ohm tank. Both halves of a 12ax7 are used on the recovery side, one to amplify and the other to mix into the preamp. You can either use a fixed resistor or a dwell knob to tame the signal down so it doesnt overload the tank.
"Dime the controls, tune to drop D and flog the strings like they were naughty,"
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

martin manning wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 am
KivettBednar wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:50 amAny specific amps that have them in them?
I have seen transformerless reverb drivers (EL84 pentode, e.g.) in a few commercial amp schematics, but I can't recall any one-tube designs like the one linked. The clip sounds pretty good.
Going thru some old threads I saw this posted from Martin 2 years ago and it reminded me of this thread
uses the 12DW7 one tube like in the swart amps
Hope it helps!

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31498
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

So, I've shared this over at MEF, but this is a 1-tube (abbreviated) reverb circuit I designed to retrofit into my buddy's Silvertone 1474 to replace the stock one.
Inspired by Channel Roads article. Mine uses 6U8A 9-pin pentode/triode tube. Personally, I prefer a direct CCS driven reverb to most all transformer driven reverbs.
6U8A_Reverb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.