Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Kagliostro

Tension - Resistance - Current -- Not strictly a technical amp info

Post by Kagliostro »

K
TUBEDUDE

Re: Tension - Resistance - Current -- Not strictly a technical amp info

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I read around 1 Meg dry skin resistance. If you puncture the skin though, it drops to 200 Ohms. So a voltage you can't normally feel, can generate a large current if the skin barrier is broken, say on a sharp lead or solder connection. If you smell bacon, let go.
As far as the heart goes, the timing of the shock is a critical factor. If even a small shock is received during the T wave of the cardiac cycle (the dark green area), when the left ventricle is repolarizing, it will fibrillate and death will result. This can occur with less than 3mA of current.
proxy-image (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

It's important to recognize dry human skin has an insulating resistance, which will breakdown when an applied voltage reaches a high enough level. Once the dielectric withstand voltage is reached (500-550VAC for dry human skin), the insulating layer is punctured and exposes a persons much lower internal resistance.
Here is a High Voltage Safety Manual from the University of Colorado which has some good info, and a study published in the biophysical journal on the electrical properties of skin at moderate voltages:
Electrical Properties of Skin at Moderate Voltages (Contribution of Appendageal Macropores).pdf
High_Voltage_Safety_Manual.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

This is great info, as now I know that if I am stuck between a rock and a hard place when I need for instance a 4K preamp tube cathode resistor I can just splice myself in between my foot and my hand!

I just went to a medical site and became a member and proceeded to post up info for how to use a long tail Phase splitter to reduce the chance of blood clots after surgery!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Speedypancake

Post by Speedypancake »

Stevem :D

Yeah, it's given me an idea for my next project.

I'm going to replace the preamp cathode resistors with some of my favourite guitarists for the ultimate rock tone. I reckon Vai, Satriani, Gilmour and Robben Ford would do for a start. Just not sure if I will have to soak them first, and whether to bypass Vai with a capacitor... and if so what value???

Should sound awesome!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Ritchie Kotzen is the best choice for a cathode resistor, his initials are even Rk.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Lol!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Speedypancake

Post by Speedypancake »

:mrgreen:
Ritchie Kotzen is the best choice for a cathode resistor, his initials are even Rk
Great call - not familiar with that guy.. now rocking his greatest hits on youtube - AWESOME - thanks 8)
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Ok folks, I just got a reply back from that medical site that I joined and was informed that a pacemaker can be modded to trigger the speed of a tremolo circuit.

TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Also playing with long sustain or feedback can treat reflux.
Preliminary studies support the common experience that drum solos cause indigestion and repeated exposure can cause GERD. Auto tuned vocals are safe, they just cause transient nausea.